• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

inundate

Dear teachers,

There is a brief excerpt from an email where I noted a new for me word, namely ”inundated”.

I'm sorry for the delay in sending this issue. We've been inundated with work.

I know the following meanings of the verb in question: “to cover with water, especially floodwaters“ and “to overwhelm as if with a flood; swamp: The theater was inundated with requests for tickets.

Could you be kind enough tell me whether the meaning of the word in bold above is “overburdened”? Is it common in your area?

Tnank you in advance for your efforts.

Regards.

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: inundate

A lot of work has flooded them, which did not allow them to attend to the tasks like dispatch of new issue. Inundating is flooding with work, but not water.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: inundate

Hi Dr. Appalayya,

Thank you for your prompt reply as well as for your clear explanation.

I managed to catch the meaning of the written in Shakespeare’s English email, but I was astonished at the intrusive aptitude for unnatural picturesque language innate in many NES'.

The verb in question, namely “inundated” is eloquent testimony to my insight above.

flooded, inundated, overcome, overpowered, overwhelmed, swamped, engulfed

rendered powerless especially by an excessive amount or profusion of something; "a desk flooded with applications"; "felt inundated with work"; "too much overcome to notice"; "a man engulfed by fear"; "swamped by work"

There are many much simpler and more receptive expression which we might use in the place of “felt inundated with work” and “swamped by work” as “overburdened” or “overcrowded”.

Regards.

V.