1. Unregistered

To "To" or Not to "to"

I am an American teaching English to Spanish speakers in Venezuela. My students tend frequently to use "to" inappropriately and I'd like to be able to explain when it is appropriate and when not.

Examples of common mis-uses: I can to walk tomorrow. I will to cook dinner tonight.
    He can't do go to school today.

I know the rules say not to use "to" after certain modals, but I can't find a good explanation of Modals or when you do not use "to" in other verb contexts. Can you help?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: To "To" or Not to "to"

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am an American teaching English to Spanish speakers in Venezuela. My students tend frequently to use "to" inappropriately and I'd like to be able to explain when it is appropriate and when not.

Examples of common mis-uses: I can to walk tomorrow. I will to cook dinner tonight.
    He can't do go to school today.

I know the rules say not to use "to" after certain modals, but I can't find a good explanation of Modals or when you do not use "to" in other verb contexts. Can you help?
    1. After the object after certain verbs, such as hear, see, make, let, there is no to.
    2.After verbal idioms would rather and had better there is no to.
    3.All of these, however, represent exceptions to the general rule. Most infinitive structures begin with to.