Results 1 to 6 of 6

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 45
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    worth & worthy

    Dear Friend,
    is it possible to use worth and worthy as follow :

    something is worth to be seen .( followed by infinitive).

    something is worthy seeing ( followed by gerund ).

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 619
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: worth & worthy

    Worth-value.
    Worthy-deserving.
    The movie is well worth the money .
    The movie is worthyof seeing.

  1. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: worth & worthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Khalid79 View Post
    Dear Friend,
    is it possible to use worth and worthy as follow :

    something is worth to be seen .( followed by infinitive).

    something is worthy seeing ( followed by gerund ).
    Say:
    1. something is worth seeing, doing, etc.

    2. something is worth of attention, notice, interest, mention etc.
    The only exception would be with "being": worhty of being loved, being explored etc.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: worth & worthy

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    Say:
    1. something is worth seeing, doing, etc.

    2. something is worth of attention, notice, interest, mention etc.
    The only exception would be with "being": worhty of being loved, being explored etc.
    Hi banderas,

    Something is worthy of attention.

    or

    Something is worth attention.

  3. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: worth & worthy

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Hi banderas,

    Something is worthy of attention.

    or

    Something is worth attention.
    Hi, bhaishab,

    that's true but I would not say: "worthy of seeing"

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: worth & worthy

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    Hi, bhaishab,

    that's true but I would not say: "worthy of seeing"
    Hi,
    No that's true, one wouldn't say "worthy of seeing". but one would say "worthy of notice, interest etc".

Similar Threads

  1. 'worth' usage
    By Offroad in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Mar-2008, 16:24
  2. worth vs worthy
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Feb-2008, 22:16
  3. worthy vs worth
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-Dec-2007, 01:52
  4. it's not worth it
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-Nov-2007, 00:47
  5. worth noticing?
    By minnie2007 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-May-2007, 17:42

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •