the prerequisites of the behest

Could someone please comment on the meaning of the word behest below. A synonym would be good.

It was the former home of Rose Elizabeth Flood, widow of Captain Armstrong Flood, who had founded the Flood Oil Company. Rose's three daughters were educated by Marguerite Duchesne, a Belgian governess, and when all three were lost during the unfortunate sinking of the SS Endeavor during an Atlantic crossing, a heartbroken Rose returned to theMidwest and bequeathed her home to Mademoiselle Duchesne to found her dream institution.

Little had been done to transform the home into a school: among the prerequisites of the behest was that all the original finishes and furniture were to be carefully main-tained, which made entering the building akin to walking backward in time.

Re: the prerequisites of the behest

Quote Originally Posted by Caorthine View Post
    Could someone please comment on the meaning of the word behest below. A synonym would be good.

It was the former home of Rose Elizabeth Flood, widow of Captain Armstrong Flood, who had founded the Flood Oil Company. Rose's three daughters were educated by Marguerite Duchesne, a Belgian governess, and when all three were lost during the unfortunate sinking of the SS Endeavor during an Atlantic crossing, a heartbroken Rose returned to theMidwest and bequeathed her home to Mademoiselle Duchesne to found her dream institution.

Little had been done to transform the home into a school: among the prerequisites of the behest was that all the original finishes and furniture were to be carefully main-tained, which made entering the building akin to walking backward in time.
    I think the word is a misuse or typo. It is probably "prerequisites of the bequest" as the previous paragraph refers to "{Rose Elizabeth Flood] bequeathed her home..."

Behest means that someone orders you to do something. What is implied is that a condition of the bequest was that the house be kept as it was in her lifetime.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

behest=charge(legal term);to deliver an official injunction.will(bequeath property).

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I think the word is a misuse or typo. It is probably "prerequisites of the bequest" as the previous paragraph refers to "{Rose Elizabeth Flood] bequeathed her home...".
    Well, thank god for that. After checking practically every dictionary available I thought I was going a bit crazy. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rj1948 View Post
    behest=charge(legal term);to deliver an official injunction.will(bequeath property).

Hm! Maybe I was just a little bit too fast on the trigger above. Your definition would work as well, i.e. "the prerequisites of the will ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Caorthine View Post
    Hm! Maybe I was just a little bit too fast on the trigger above. Your definition would work as well, i.e. "the prerequisites of the will ..."
    Sorry - it doesn't work.

It was at Mrs Flood's behest [order/charge] that the house was left untouched, as indicated in the terms [prerequisites] of her bequest. A behest will not have a prerequisite.

I don't know where rj1948 found that entry, but it is not in any of my sources.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Thanks ANGLIKA
    Behest meaning:That which is willed or ordered.source:Thinkexist.com

Quote Originally Posted by rj1948 View Post
    Thanks ANGLIKA
    Behest meaning:That which is willed or ordered.source:Thinkexist.com

I understand the confusion.

"willed" here is in the sense of something that is intended, rather than being the sense of something left to someone in a will.

If you will something to happen, you try to make it happen by the power of your thoughts: She willed herself to remember his birthday.