• Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

A few more stiffs

What is the meaning of a few more stiffs in the following excerpt:

"He told us we should always pray to God--talk to Him and all--wherever we were. He told us we ought to think of Jesus as our buddy and all. He said he talked to Jesus all the time. Even when he was driving his car. That killed me. I just see the big phony bastard shifting into first gear and asking Jesus to send him a few more stiffs."

Smile Re: A few more stiffs

Hi, In my opinion the story is referring to dead bodies. 'Stiff' being a colloquial for - in this case - a deceased person.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: A few more stiffs

STIFFS also means tips(usually paid to waiters).!

Thank you rj. There are several other meanings. But I'm finding the context confusing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Here's the whole paragraph, might clarify things a bit:

"Where I lived at Pencey, I lived in the Ossenburger Memorial Wing of the new
    dorms. It was only for juniors and seniors. I was a junior. My roommate was a senior. It was named after this guy Ossenburger that went to Pencey. He made a pot of dough in
    the undertaking business after he got out of Pencey. What he did, he started these
    undertaking parlors all over the country that you could get members of your family
    buried for about five bucks apiece. You should see old Ossenburger. He probably just
    shoves them in a sack and dumps them in the river. Anyway, he gave Pencey a pile of
    dough, and they named our wing alter him. The first football game of the year, he came
    up to school in this big goddam Cadillac, and we all had to stand up in the grandstand and
    give him a locomotive--that's a cheer. Then, the next morning, in chapel, be made a
    speech that lasted about ten hours. He started off with about fifty corny jokes, just to
    show us what a regular guy he was. Very big deal. Then he started telling us how he was
    never ashamed, when he was in some kind of trouble or something, to get right down his
    knees and pray to God. He told us we should always pray to God--talk to Him and all--
    wherever we were. He told us we ought to think of Jesus as our buddy and all. He said he
    talked to Jesus all the time. Even when he was driving his car. That killed me. I just see
    the big phony bastard shifting into first gear and asking Jesus to send him a few more
    stiffs."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

It might very well be "dead bodies in this context, as he's an undertaker.

I think it is. Which is ironic because I too am an undertaker. Perhaps, I should have known the meaning from the start! (I try not to use the word 'stiffs' though). SB

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Yes.Dead bodies.!RELIEVED !

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm curious to know where "stiff" is a tip for a waiter.

In the US, if you do NOT leave a tip for the waiter, you have "stiffed him."

This is clearly an opposite meaning!