1. bliz

please help(tenses)

Hello there, I have some doubts on the tenses. Would you please explain to me regarding the following contexts.

1. A: do you have the required documents?
    B: yes, I had them with me.
    A: Could you show them to me?

My question is why B used ‘had’ and not ‘have’ instead?
    Does it mean that B had the documents at first but due to some circumstances he no longer has them now? Could you give other examples?

2. A: Jack had a car accident two days ago. He was hospitalized and the car was in a very
    bad condition.On top of that, the car wasn’t his.
    B: oh my!!

Does it mean that Jack’s no longer at the hospital and the car has been repaired? The car wasn’t his during the accident and now he owns it?

I’m totally confused….

please help and thanks in advance

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: please help(tenses)

1)B.The answer should be "Yes.I have them with me."
    2)....the car is in a very bad condition.On top of that,the car is n't his .

Re: please help(tenses)

A: do you have the required documents?
    B: yes, I had them with me.

A: Do you have the required documents?
    B: Yes...(patting his pockets frantically) or at least, I had them with me. They're gone!

A: Do you have the required documents?
    B: Yes, I have them in my shoulder bag.
    2. A: Jack had a car accident two days ago. He was hospitalized and the car was in very
    bad condition. On top of that, the car wasn’t his.
    B: oh my!!

Does it mean that Jack’s no longer at the hospital and the car has been repaired?
    All verbs are in the simple past tense. All we know is, after the accident, he was admitted to hospital. Whether he is still there or not, we are not told. But at that time, immediately after the accident, he went into hospitial. After the accident, the car was in bad condition. There is no mention of taking it to the repairers, or indeed, whether it was decided that it was a write-off instead. All we know is, straight after the accident, the car was in a damaged condition.
    The car wasn’t his during the accident and now he owns it?
    "The car wasn't his at the time, but now he owns it."
    All we know is, he bought the car. We may presume he was going to get it fixed, but we don't have any information about that.
    Last edited by David L.; 08-May-2008 at 17:56.