• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

I am puzzled, help please!

It wasnít until a few weeks after September 11 that I began to see that perhaps some good did come from this tragedy . People seem different now , more understanding , more tolerant . Little things that seemed to be such a trouble before are no longer big things . Personally , I am more tolerant than I was . I realize life is too short , and too precious , to let myself get worried over small things . Iíve learned also that you canít take things for granted . Things change in the blink of an eye . People go to work and donít come back . One moment theyíre living and the next minute theyíre not . And , it doesnít matter who you are , there is nothing you can do about it . We never know when our time here will be over , so we all need to make the most of every minute we have .
    You try to learn from what happened . You canít be used up by it . You canít live by it . All you can do is just live .

The part underlined had me there. How am I supposed to understand it?

Re: I am puzzled, help please!

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseed View Post
    It wasnít until a few weeks after September 11 that I began to see that perhaps some good did come from this tragedy . People seem different now , more understanding , more tolerant . Little things that seemed to be such a trouble before are no longer big things . Personally , I am more tolerant than I was . I realize life is too short , and too precious , to let myself get worried over small things . Iíve learned also that you canít take things for granted . Things change in the blink of an eye . People go to work and donít come back . One moment theyíre living and the next minute theyíre not . And , it doesnít matter who you are , there is nothing you can do about it . We never know when our time here will be over , so we all need to make the most of every minute we have .
    You try to learn from what happened . You canít be used up by it . You canít live by it . All you can do is just live .

The part underlined had me there. How am I supposed to understand it?
    can't be used up by it: you can't allow it to dominate your life. You mustn't be obsessed by the tragedy.

cant live by it: you can't use it as a system of belief. You can't base the rest of your life on this one tragedy.

all you can do is just get on with your life.