• Brazil

Question shall / will

Hi,
    what is the difference in this dialogue when using will and shall:

1) A: tell her that I say hello.
    B: I will do it.

2? A: Please tell her that i say hello.
    B: I shall do it.

Is there any difference in context when using will and shall ?

thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: shall / will

There's a recently reactivated thread on this. In the U.S., we would never say "I shall do it." Apparently (according to Mr. Pedantic) there are still parts of England in which people do use "shall" for first person future.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    There's a recently reactivated thread on this. In the U.S., we would never say "I shall do it." Apparently (according to Mr. Pedantic) there are still parts of England in which people do use "shall" for first person future.
    thanks ! let me add something. "I shall do it" was said by an american friend of mine . I told him to give his wife my hugs and he gave me this answer.
    Why americans would never say "I shall do it" ?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Okay, obviously I over-stated the case when I said it would never be said that way here, but "shall" as simple future for first person singular is REALLY uncommon. We do tend to say "Shall we..." but (almost) never "I shall do it."

In fact, it's unusual to say "I will do it" too. "Okay," or "I sure will" or "You bet" are far more common than "I will do it" especially for that kind of request. Your friend is someone who was born and raised here?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Okay, obviously I over-stated the case when I said it would never be said that way here, but "shall" as simple future for first person singular is REALLY uncommon. We do tend to say "Shall we..." but (almost) never "I shall do it."

In fact, it's unusual to say "I will do it" too. "Okay," or "I sure will" or "You bet" are far more common than "I will do it" especially for that kind of request. Your friend is someone who was born and raised here?
    Hi, Barb!

San has not responded, yet, to your question about where his friend was born and raised so my comments are purely speculation... but, I will venture a guess that his friend is highly educated, probably born and raised in northeastern US, and was correctly taught the difference between the use of 'shall' and 'will'. Let's see how close we are to my prediction!

Cheers,
    Amigo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

thank you guys for your answers! Yes, my friend is higly educated ( a Phd actually ) :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    thank you guys for your answers! Yes, my friend is higly educated ( a Phd actually ) :)
    Hi, San!

Do you happen to know where he received his PhD? My contention is that he probably went to a major college/university! I'm just curious!

Cheers,
    Amigo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm from the northeast, and "highly educated." I found that comment about someone being highly educated thus "knows how to use it corrrectly" somewhat insulting. I know the difference between "shall" and "will," but "shall" is truly not used in the U.S. with any frequency other than "Shall we...?"

If someone said "Give you husband a hug for me," I would not say "I shall do it." I would not say "I will do it." I would say "I sure will" or something like that.

Being educated does mean that you use a formal register in every conversation, particularly those with friends sending hugs.

Perhaps some of my American colleagues will chime in on this.

I'm sure you're happy to know that I shall comment on this no further.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm from the northeast, and "highly educated." I found that comment about someone being highly educated thus "knows how to use it corrrectly" somewhat insulting. I know the difference between "shall" and "will," but "shall" is truly not used in the U.S. with any frequency other than "Shall we...?"

If someone said "Give you husband a hug for me," I would not say "I shall do it." I would not say "I will do it." I would say "I sure will" or something like that.

Being educated does mean that you use a formal register in every conversation, particularly those with friends sending hugs.

Perhaps some of my American colleagues will chime in on this.

I'm sure you're happy to know that I shall comment on this no further.
    Barb,
    It appears that I may have created a giant misunderstanding when I speculated where San's American friend was born and raised! My sole intent was to validate my impressions of the friend's educational background. I never intended to be insulting to you or to anyone else.
    Please accept my apology for the misunderstanding.

Amigo