• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Livingstone and Brown

Eleven years on, Gordon Brown is still at it. Since becoming Prime Minister, I've counted at least seven speeches he's made about "world-class" schools, skills, health, infrastructure and energy policy.

He even told us London needed "world-class" leadership in the shape of Ken Livingstone, a man he has despised for 25 years.
    Hi! Could you please tell me whether Gordon Brown were for Livingstone's performance or not. I can not understand the last line I quote in blue.

It seems to me that Brown liked Livingstone in the front of sentence but in the later part Brown despise him. I am confused.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Austria

Re: Livingstone and Brown

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    It seems to me that Brown liked Livingstone in the front of sentence but in the later part Brown despise him. I am confused.
    Maybe this article will shed some light on your question.

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hi! Could you please tell me whether Gordon Brown were for Livingstone's performance or not. I can not understand the last line I quote in blue.

This is old old history!

Ken Livingstone has been a problem for the Labour Party ever since he was Mayor of the old Greater London Council. He is very much what is called a "loose cannon" - something that cannot be controlled and can go off at any time. When the Labour Party came back into power 11 years ago, they revived the post of Mayor of [Greater] London, but refused to recognise Livingstone as the Labour candidate, so he stood as an Independent and got in; when he was elected the second time, he was accepted as a Labour Party member, but he is not someone that the party regards as trustworthy since he will not toe the party line.

It is very possible that Brown does not like him personally, quite apart from the political situation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Beascarpetta & Anglika, thank you very much!

Anglika, Livingstone's political stand is interesting. I also learned a little about Ken Livingstone's private life from a columnist's article recently.