Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 773
    #1

    Jenna Bush's wedding is low-key affair at ranch

    Hello Everyone,

    What does "low-key" mean in the sentence?

    Jenna Bush's wedding is low-key affair at ranch.

    Does "low-key" here mean the opposite of "highlighting"

    Regards

    Richard

  1. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,931
    #2

    Re: Jenna Bush's wedding is low-key affair at ranch

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

    What does "low-key" mean in the sentence?

    Jenna Bush's wedding is low-key affair at ranch.

    Does "low-key" here mean the opposite of "highlighting"

    Regards

    Richard
    Hi, Richard!

    Jenna Bush could have chosen to get married in the White House. A wedding in the White House, by its very nature, would have been a 'high profile wedding'!

    Instead, Jenna chose to have a significantly smaller wedding at the family ranch in Texas. Compared to what she could have had at the White House, the Texas wedding was considered 'low key'; only a small group of close family members and friends were invited to attend.

    'Low key' would be the opposite of 'high profile'.

    Cheers,
    Amigo

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 773
    #3

    Re: Jenna Bush's wedding is low-key affair at ranch

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Hi, Richard!

    Jenna Bush could have chosen to get married in the White House. A wedding in the White House, by its very nature, would have been a 'high profile wedding'!

    Instead, Jenna chose to have a significantly smaller wedding at the family ranch in Texas. Compared to what she could have had at the White House, the Texas wedding was considered 'low key'; only a small group of close family members and friends were invited to attend.

    'Low key' would be the opposite of 'high profile'.

    Cheers,
    Amigo
    Thanks a lot!

    I have mixed high profile with highlight!


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 5,409
    #4

    Re: Jenna Bush's wedding is low-key affair at ranch

    I can't see 'high-profile' as the antonym of 'low-key'. You can't get much more high profile (= a person/event/position attracting much attention), than the wedding of the daughter of the President of the United States...a daughter who nevertheless had a low-key wedding. (They could have had visiting dignitaries from around the world, and a thousand guests - (which social madam, and social climber, wouldn't have wanted to be invited to the wedding of the year) with the wedding service in St Patrick's Cathedral in New York or such.

    low-key : describes an event that is quiet, understated, and without a great show of excitement, hoopla; restrained in style, not elaborate

    So the antonym would be a word that combines unrestrained+extravagance with a dash of opulence and grand scale. Any takers for that word?

  2. hinomura's Avatar

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 61
    #5

    Re: Jenna Bush's wedding is low-key affair at ranch

    ummmm. . . ."ostentatious"?

    or as G. Bush would say, "Ostensible. . .heh, heh, hey, I used a big word. I'll have to say that on my Middle East tour!"

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 773
    #6

    Re: Jenna Bush's wedding is low-key affair at ranch

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    I can't see 'high-profile' as the antonym of 'low-key'. You can't get much more high profile (= a person/event/position attracting much attention), than the wedding of the daughter of the President of the United States...a daughter who nevertheless had a low-key wedding. (They could have had visiting dignitaries from around the world, and a thousand guests - (which social madam, and social climber, wouldn't have wanted to be invited to the wedding of the year) with the wedding service in St Patrick's Cathedral in New York or such.

    low-key : describes an event that is quiet, understated, and without a great show of excitement, hoopla; restrained in style, not elaborate

    So the antonym would be a word that combines unrestrained+extravagance with a dash of opulence and grand scale. Any takers for that word?
    What about highsounding?

Similar Threads

  1. PLEASE help. My grammar is BAD, I am trying hard though
    By daniellelofton in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Oct-2009, 07:00
  2. A wedding
    By tanguyen in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Dec-2007, 01:44

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •