Poll: Rule of thumb means...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Rule of thumb

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 70,137
    #1

    Rule of thumb

    You can get the definition of this idiom here.

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    Moderator
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,546
    #2

    Re: Rule of thumb

    Let's get down to brass tacks.

  3. philadelphia's Avatar
    Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 831
    #3

    Re: Rule of thumb

    In what context could I use this idiom?

    X: I followed the instructions of someone. He told me to look for what I want in my dictionary.
    Y: It's rule of thumb that.

    Am I into deep? Or does it work?

  4. banderas's Avatar
    Key Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    #4

    Re: Rule of thumb

    Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post
    In what context could I use this idiom?

    X: I followed the instructions of someone. He told me to look for what I want in my dictionary.
    Y: It's rule of thumb that.

    Am I into deep? Or does it work?
    Not really, philadelphia.
    A: How much is a portion of rice?
    B: A rule of thumb is that it is is two and a half handfuls.


    Rule of thumb is "likely that it refers to one of the numerous ways that thumbs have been used to estimate things - judging the alignment or distance of an object by holding the thumb in one's eye-line, the temperature of brews of beer, measurement of an inch from the joint to the nail to the tip, or across the thumb, etc."

  5. RonBee's Avatar
    Moderator
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,546
    #5

    Re: Rule of thumb

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    Not really, philadelphia.
    A: How much is a portion of rice?
    B: A rule of thumb is that it is is two and a half handfuls.


    Rule of thumb is "likely that it refers to one of the numerous ways that thumbs have been used to estimate things - judging the alignment or distance of an object by holding the thumb in one's eye-line, the temperature of brews of beer, measurement of an inch from the joint to the nail to the tip, or across the thumb, etc."
    Banderas's example is just right. If you use a rule of thumb measurement you are satisfied with an approximate measurement. You don't need exactitude.

  6. philadelphia's Avatar
    Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 831
    #6

    Re: Rule of thumb

    Definitely closer. It will be helpful for me. I get it! Thanks both banderas and RonBee.

  7. Bogota63's Avatar

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 14
    #7

    Re: Rule of thumb

    Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post
    In what context could I use this idiom?

    X: I followed the instructions of someone. He told me to look for what I want in my dictionary.
    Y: It's rule of thumb that.

    Am I into deep? Or does it work?
    In engineering "rule of thumb" is used when one calculates any result approximately, without doing the math.

    Take into account that I am not a teacher, I am an engineer!

    Regards,

    Bogota63


    • Join Date: Sep 2008
    • Posts: 1
    #8

    Re: Rule of thumb

    Iam Mohamed Hussein
    25 years

  8. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 4
    #9

    Re: Rule of thumb

    i got the meaning of rule of thumb. i answer the poll wrong though. because i think, since there are only 2 thumbs, that it would be exact.

    Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post
    In what context could I use this idiom?

    X: I followed the instructions of someone. He told me to look for what I want in my dictionary.
    Y: It's rule of thumb that.

    Am I into deep? Or does it work?
    i don't know what he means so i don't know what's wrong with that. anyone care to explain? thanks..

  9. RonBee's Avatar
    Moderator
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,546
    #10

    Re: Rule of thumb

    Quote Originally Posted by rollerkoster View Post
    i got the meaning of rule of thumb. i answer the poll wrong though. because i think, since there are only 2 thumbs, that it would be exact.



    i don't know what he means so i don't know what's wrong with that. anyone care to explain? thanks..
    I don't know what he means either. It seems to be a non sequitur.
    .


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •