• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Term used in education

Dear teachers, may I ask what the meaning of "Whither knowledge?" is?
    Thank you.

Re: Term used in education

What is the likely future of knowledge?

Unpacking The Knowledge Economy – Whither Knowledge Society?
    Knowledge & Education
    January 2004, Anita Gurumurthy, World Social Forum

The author strongly critiques India’s excessive emphasis on building an IT-savvy human resource pool, which has resulted in the diversion of resources away from the much more crucial expenditures on literacy and primary education...
    -(that is, should the future of knowledge be directed to making people in India more and more IT-savvy, which would mean less emphasis on, and money directed towards, knowledge in terms of literacy and the basic skills acquired in primary education.

and

Six years ago, researchers talked about a "new" concept of knowledge. Soon everybody realised that there is nothing new under the sun ...so we started talking about a 'modern concept', an 'emerging concept' or, quite simply, about a 'current concept'. ... One cynic even said that considering the global recession we were suffering at the beginning of the 1990s, we could not even afford to talk about a 'new' concept of knowledge.
    Last edited by David L.; 13-May-2008 at 10:10.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    What is the likely future of knowledge?

Unpacking The Knowledge Economy – Whither Knowledge Society?
    Knowledge & Education
    January 2004, Anita Gurumurthy, World Social Forum

The author strongly critiques India’s excessive emphasis on building an IT-savvy human resource pool, which has resulted in the diversion of resources away from the much more crucial expenditures on literacy and primary education...
    -(that is, should the future of knowledge be directed to making people in India more and more IT-savvy, which would mean less emphasis on, and money directed towards, knowledge in terms of literacy and the basic skills acquired in primary education.

and

Six years ago, researchers talked about a "new" concept of knowledge. Soon everybody realised that there is nothing new under the sun ...so we started talking about a 'modern concept', an 'emerging concept' or, quite simply, about a 'current concept'. ... One cynic even said that considering the global recession we were suffering at the beginning of the 1990s, we could not even afford to talk about a 'new' concept of knowledge.
    Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. You're really a knowledgeable scholar.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Deepurple View Post
    Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. You're really a knowledgeable scholar.
    At the risk of teaching my grandmother to suck eggs (Teach your grandmother to suck eggs - UsingEnglish.com) I will add that "whither" = "where to/to what place". So in a business context the question could have a number of meanings - ranging from 'what should we do about fostering and managing knowledge' to 'what is the point of making efforts to manage knowledge, when - as soon as someone stops being an employee - that knowledge walks out of the door and adds to the knowledge of the competition'. In an educational context I think it's more likely to mean 'How can the educational system develop so as to foster knowledge (as opposed to just inculcating facts)'.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    At the risk of teaching my grandmother to suck eggs (Teach your grandmother to suck eggs - UsingEnglish.com) I will add that "whither" = "where to/to what place". So in a business context the question could have a number of meanings - ranging from 'what should we do about fostering and managing knowledge' to 'what is the point of making efforts to manage knowledge, when - as soon as someone stops being an employee - that knowledge walks out of the door and adds to the knowledge of the competition'. In an educational context I think it's more likely to mean 'How can the educational system develop so as to foster knowledge (as opposed to just inculcating facts)'.

b
    Thanks BobK. It's great and helpful to deepen my understanding.