Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi everybody,
Please let me know the difference between "focus in" and "focus on"
"focus" on can be used for something you are looking at (focus on that red car), but is often used to mean 'emphasize'/'concentrate on'.
'He should focus more on his study and less on partying.'

As far as I know, "focus in" is only used for something one is looking at. For example, if you are taking a picture of something you can focus in, which means to bring the central objects closer but with a resulting narrower field.

Many thanks in advance

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi everybody,
Please let me know the difference between "focus in" and "focus on"

Many thanks in advance
I guess one can also say things like 'You have to focus in class.', which means you have to pay attention and concentrate on learning. (focus on learning)

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks a lot for your help, 2006 :)

So you mean "focus in" mainly refer to the act of looking carefully at somthing, while "focus on" has the same meaning, but it often refer to the abstract meaning "concentrate on"?

And sometimes "focus in" can also be used the same as "focus on"? (Your last example "You have to focus in class")

Many thanks

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks a lot for your help, 2006 :)

So you mean "focus in" mainly refers to the act of looking carefully at somthing, ...no, that "focus in" means bring it closer/make it bigger, as when taking a picture....while "focus on" has the same meaning, but it often refer to the abstract meaning "concentrate on"?

And sometimes "focus in" can also be used the same as "focus on"? (Your last example "You have to focus in class") No, "focus in class" means focus when you are inside the classroom. But don't focus on the students who are acting silly, focus on learning what the teacher is teaching.

Many thanks

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you very much for your clear clarification, 2006 :)

And besides the context of picture taking, could you please give me some more examples in which "focus in" is used with the meaning "bring it closer/make it bigger"?

Many thanks in advance

Member Type
Student or Learner
But don't focus on the students who are acting silly, focus on learning what the teacher is teaching.

Hi 2006, is "silly" also an adverb?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thank you very much for your clear clarification, 2006 :)

And besides the context of picture taking, could you please give me some more examples in which "focus in" is used with the meaning "bring it closer/make it bigger"? The only other examples I can think of also involve looking at something with a telescope or binoculars or some other instrument. You can also focus in when using Google Earth.

Many thanks in advance

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi 2006, is "silly" also an adverb?
No, "silly" is an adjective. There "acting" is a linking verb. It's the same as saying 'being silly'. "sillily" is an adverb but it seems to be very rarely used.

Status
Not open for further replies.