Again a question relating to the "present perfect"

Good evening.

We will write a classwork about Arthur Miller's "Death of a Salesman" this friday.
    When talking about a the action in a book we normally use the simple present(e.g summary, interpretation and so on).
    "The excerpt from Arthur Miller's........Willy enters the kitchen.....Biff talks to Happy....."

Is there a situation which happened in the past there are two tenses we can use:the present perfect or the simple past.

But when should I use the simple past or the present perfect.
    Our teacher said once that we should use the present perfect to things which happened in the past (relating to the book).

A question could be what has happened/did happen before Willy has killed/killed himself?
    Willy has been invited/was invited to Stanley's by Happy and Biff......

When should I use the üresent perfect or the simple past?

I would be very grateful for any help I get (can i say this ~~).

Greetings Maluues

Re: Again a question relating to the "present perfect"

Quote Originally Posted by Maluues View Post
    Good evening.

We will write a classwork about Arthur Miller's "Death of a Salesman" this friday.
    When talking about a the action in a book we normally use the simple present(e.g summary, interpretation and so on).
    "The excerpt from Arthur Miller's........Willy enters the kitchen.....Biff talks to Happy....."

Is there a situation which happened in the past there are two tenses we can use:the present perfect or the simple past.

Our teacher said once that we should use the present perfect to things which happened in the past (relating to the book).

A question could be what has happened/did happen before Willy has killed/killed himself?

Greetings Maluues
    When talking about a book (or a film) you should try and stick to the present tense. So:

A "What happens to Willy before he kills himself?
    B "Before he kills himself, he is invited to Stanley's by Happy and Biff..."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Good evening.

But when should I use the simple past or the present perfect. If the simple past correctly expresses your meaning, there is no (grammatical) need to use perfect tense.

Our teacher said once that we should use the present perfect to things which happened in the past (relating to the book). My comments here are general and not especially related to or restricted to books.

There is no need to use perfect tense in the above sentence, and actually the perfect tense above is incorrect. Say 'What happened before Willy killed himself?'

Greetings Maluues

Good evening.

Thanks for the help. I think I got it :).
    Letźs hope the best.

Greetings Maluues

Good evening.

When should I use the present perfect or the simple past?

Greetings Maluues
    "When should I use the üresent perfect or the simple past?"

You should used the present perfect when it suits the situation and your language needs, M. As Naomi and 2006 mentioned oftentimes we can get by with the present simple, even the simple past but again it depends on what language situation you, [Maluues] are in.

One POSSIBLE example of the PP, when you're asking about the sequence of events.

A: Okay, I'm a little unclear on the events. Willy has been invited to Stanley's by Happy and Biff. What happens then/next?
    Last edited by riverkid; 15-May-2008 at 19:14.