blunt talking and straight shooting

"blunt talking and straight shooting", what does this sentence mean? thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Re: blunt talking and straight shooting

The Free Dictionary should help here:
    blunt - definition of blunt by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    2. Abrupt and often disconcertingly frank in speech: "Onscreen, John Wayne was a blunt talker and straight shooter" Time. See Synonyms at gruff.
    4. Lacking in feeling; insensitive.

Hope this helps.
    NT

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

blunt, candid, forthright, frank, free-spoken, outspoken, plainspoken, point-blank

characterized by disconcerting directness in manner or speech; without subtlety or evasion; "blunt talking and straight shooting"; "a blunt New England farmer"; "I gave them my candid opinion"; "forthright criticism"; "a forthright approach to the problem"; "tell me what you think--and you may just as well be frank"; "it is possible to be outspoken without being rude"; "plainspoken and to the point"; "a point-blank accusation"

blunt = abrupt and often disconcertingly frank in speech
    straight shooting = having or marked by uprightness in principle and action

He speaks bluntly; and being also a 'straight shooter' , he is someone whom you can trust to be very honest in what they are saying.
    The opposite of 'straight shooter' would be along the lines of somebody who is just flattering you and doesn't mean it.

i think i've got it. "blunt talking" refers to saying something abruptly, often disconcertingly;and "straight shooting" means acting or speaking honestly and uprightly. nevertheless sb who is "blunt talking and straight shooting" is a good man. thank you for all of your help.