1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Scholarly writing

I am a doctoral learner. In writing papers, I have been corrected about using passive voice and anthropomorphism (sp?), where an inanimate object is given life. One example is, "This paper will discuss.." Papers do not talk, therefore they cannot discuss. The proper way would be, "The purpose of this paper is to analyze..."

My question is: where can I get help on correcting these two recurring problems in my scholarly writing. I have written for business for a very, very long time, and it is a challenge to adjust to scholarly writing.

Can you give me direction?

Also, someone told me that there are keywords that should be used, like "this writer," "analyze," "claims," and other such words. Is this true and where can I find this information.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Scholarly writing

Quote Originally Posted by cls1992 View Post
    I am a doctoral learner. In writing papers, I have been corrected about using passive voice and anthropomorphism (sp?), where an inanimate object is given life. One example is, "This paper will discuss.." Papers do not talk, therefore they cannot discuss. The proper way would be, "The purpose of this paper is to analyze..."

I do not see anything wrong in saying "This paper will discuss" or "The later chapters discuss.."
    If someone claims that saying so is a mistake, try to defend that usage and let them know that "discuss" has two meanings:

1. write about a subject in detail, especially considering different ideas and opinions related to it.

2.to talk about a subject with someone and tell each other your ideas or opinions.

In your sentence, the first definition applies.