Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Nefertiti's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 383
    #1

    suggest

    1. I suggested him fixing the microwave oven rather than buying a new one.

    2. I suggested he fixes the microwave oven rather than buys a new one.

    3. I suggested he fix the microwave oven rather than buy a new one.

    4. I suggested he fixed the microwave oven rather than bought a new one.

    5. I suggested him to fix the microwave oven rather than buy a new one.

    6. I suggested fixing the microwave oven rather than buying a new one. (If this is one of the appropriate answers, would the meaning be the same as others?)

    7. Any better suggestions?

    Please pick the appropriate answer(s). And please explain your answer(s).

    Thanks

  2. Dawood Usmani's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 603
    #2

    Re: suggest

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    1. I suggested him fixing the microwave oven rather than buying a new one.

    2. I suggested he fixes the microwave oven rather than buys a new one.

    3. I suggested he fix the microwave oven rather than buy a new one.

    4. I suggested he fixed the microwave oven rather than bought a new one. (very informal)

    5. I suggested him to fix the microwave oven rather than buy a new one.

    6. I suggested fixing the microwave oven rather than buying a new one. (If this is one of the appropriate answers, would the meaning be the same as others?)

    7. Any better suggestions?

    Please pick the appropriate answer(s). And please explain your answer(s).

    Thanks
    Suggest can be used in a number of ways, but BE CAREFUL. It is important not to confuse these patterns:

    suggest/suggested (+ possessive adjective) + gerund:
    He suggests going to Glastonbury
    He suggested going to Glastonbury
    He suggested/suggests my going to Glastonbury

    suggest/suggested + that-clause (where both that and should may be omitted):
    He suggests that I should go to Glastonbury
    He suggested that I should go to Glastonbury
    He suggested/suggests I should go to Glastonbury
    He suggested/suggests I go to Glastonbury
    He suggested I went to Glastonbury.

    suggest/suggested + question word + infinitive:
    He suggested where to go.
    Never suggest+object+to-infinitive:
    I suggested him to fix...
    Hope this helps you understand the correct usage of the verb "suggest". Now you should be able to answer your question on your own. Try correcting your sentences. We are here for further help.
    Dawood
    Last edited by Dawood Usmani; 17-May-2008 at 11:11.


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 1,571
    #3

    Re: suggest

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    1. I suggested him fixing the microwave oven rather than buying a new one.

    2. I suggested he fixes the microwave oven rather than buys a new one.

    3. I suggested he fix the microwave oven rather than buy a new one.

    4. I suggested he fixed the microwave oven rather than bought a new one.

    5. I suggested him to fix the microwave oven rather than buy a new one.

    6. I suggested fixing the microwave oven rather than buying a new one. (If this is one of the appropriate answers, would the meaning be the same as others?)

    7. Any better suggestions?

    Please pick the appropriate answer(s). And please explain your answer(s).

    Thanks
    I don't think #1 is good, at least in terms of style. A complex after 'suggest' (suggest him doing) sounds somewhat odd.

    # 2 is incorrect.

    #3 is correct. It's an Old Subjunctive form. In AmE it's considered as standard, in BrE - as formal.

    #4 is correct. It means that I suggested and he did it.

    #5 is incorrect.

    #6 is correct. It means that the speaker himself offers to fix the microwave.

    Here is one more pattern.
    I suggested that he should fix the microwave.
    This variant is standard for BrE.
    Last edited by Clark; 17-May-2008 at 09:47.

  3. Nefertiti's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 383
    #4

    Re: suggest

    Hi Clark,

    re #1
    A teacher (non-native speaker) says, "suggest him doing sth is a correct structure."
    I did some research and the results seemed to contradict the teacher's point of view.

    re #3
    Why do you think 'to suggest sb do sth' is subjunctive? I need more evidence.

    e.g. I suggested he fix the microwave oven rather than buy a new one.

    Did he fix it? Is he fixing it? Is he going to?

    If it's subjunctive, then he would not do it regardless time.


    re #4 I suggested he fixed the microwave oven rather than bought a new one.
    You wrote: It means that I suggested and he did it.

    You suggest it's non-subjunctive. Is it so?

    re #6
    You suggest it means the speaker himself offers to fix the microwave.

    Interested to know. Is it so?

    re
    Here is one more pattern.
    I suggested that he should fix the microwave.
    This variant is standard for BrE.

    I suggested that he should fix the microwave.
    = I suggested he fix the microwave. (#3)


    I need to hear some native speakers opinions.

    Thanks for your detailed reply.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,626
    #5

    Re: suggest

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    1. I suggested him fixing the microwave oven rather than buying a new one.

    2. I suggested he fixes the microwave oven rather than buys a new one.

    3. I suggested he fix the microwave oven rather than buy a new one.

    4. I suggested he fixed the microwave oven rather than bought a new one.

    5. I suggested him to fix the microwave oven rather than buy a new one.

    6. I suggested fixing the microwave oven rather than buying a new one. (If this is one of the appropriate answers, would the meaning be the same as others?)

    7. Any better suggestions?

    Please pick the appropriate answer(s). And please explain your answer(s).

    Thanks

    3. I suggested that he fix the microwave oven rather than buy a new one.

    6. I suggested fixing the microwave oven rather than buying a new one.

    3. is ok with "that"

    6. is ok, it means that "I" suggested that fixing the microwave would be a good idea, better than buying a new one.

    7. "I suggested that it would be a good idea to fix the microwave oven rather than to buy a new one".

  5. Nefertiti's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 383
    #6

    Re: suggest

    Hi bhaisahab.

    a few questions for you to answer.


    1. Is #3 subjunctive? Did he fix it? Is he fixing it? Is he going to?

    2. #3 is ok with "that".

    suggest (that)
    e.g. I suggest you phone before you go round there. (Longman dictionary)

    Can 'that' be omitted? The dictionary says so.

    3. Does #6 imply that the speaker himself offers to fix the microwave?

    4. re your suggestion

    "I suggested that it would be a good idea to fix the microwave oven rather than to buy a new one".

    Why not the following structures?

    I suggested that it should be a good idea to fix the microwave oven rather than to buy a new one.

    I suggested that it be a good idea to fix the microwave oven rather than to buy a new one.

    Thanks for your reply.

    We are getting closer to the truth.

  6. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,626
    #7

    Re: suggest

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    Hi bhaisahab.

    a few questions for you to answer.


    1. Is#3 subjunctive? Did he fix it? Is he fixing it? Is he going to?

    2. #3 is ok with "that".

    suggest (that)
    e.g. I suggest you phone before you go round there. (Longman dictionary)

    Can 'that' be omitted? The dictionary says so.

    3. Does #6 imply that the speaker himself offers to fix the microwave?

    4. re your suggestion

    "I suggested that it would be a good idea to fix the microwave oven rather than to buy a new one".

    Why not the following structures?

    I suggested that it should be a good idea to fix the microwave oven rather than to buy a new one.

    I suggested that it be a good idea to fix the microwave oven rather than to buy a new one.

    Thanks for your reply.

    We are getting closer to the truth.
    Hi Nefertiti,
    Here are some examples of the subjunctive form (future)


    • If I were to die tomorrow, then you would inherit everything.
    • If you were to give the money to me, then I would say no more about it.
    • If I should go, then will you feed the hens?
    • If he should fall, who will carry the flag in his place?
    1. Is#3 subjunctive? Did he fix it? Is he fixing it? Is he going to? We don't know if he will fix it.

    2. "That" can be ommitted it is a question of taste really (style).

    3. #6 could imply that the speaker offers to fix it himself, but not necessarily, he/ she could be suggesting that they have someone else fix it.

    I suggested that it should be a good idea to fix the microwave oven rather than to buy a new one. In this case I think that "should" is too equivocal.

    I suggested that it be a good idea to fix the microwave oven rather than to buy a new one. You can't use "it be" like this, verb "to be" "he, she, it is"


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 1,571
    #8

    Re: suggest

    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    Hi Clark,

    re #1
    A teacher (non-native speaker) says, "suggest him doing sth is a correct structure."
    I did some research and the results seemed to contradict the teacher's point of view.

    re #3
    Why do you think 'to suggest sb do sth' is subjunctive? I need more evidence.

    e.g. I suggested he fix the microwave oven rather than buy a new one.

    Did he fix it? Is he fixing it? Is he going to?

    If it's subjunctive, then he would not do it regardless time.


    re #4 I suggested he fixed the microwave oven rather than bought a new one.
    You wrote: It means that I suggested and he did it.

    You suggest it's non-subjunctive. Is it so?

    re #6
    You suggest it means the speaker himself offers to fix the microwave.

    Interested to know. Is it so?

    re
    Here is one more pattern.
    I suggested that he should fix the microwave.
    This variant is standard for BrE.

    I suggested that he should fix the microwave.
    = I suggested he fix the microwave. (#3)


    I need to hear some native speakers opinions.

    Thanks for your detailed reply.

    #3 I suggest that he do it.
    This is Old Subjunctive. If it were the Indicative Mood, 'do' would be adjusted to 'he' and taken the form 'does'. Besides if you use 'suggest' in the past simple, 'do' will remain unchanged, which means that sequence of tenses is not observed - 'I suggested that he do it'.
    'Do' indicates a perspective action.

    #4 Yes, it's Indicative Mood. Past Simple.

    #6 Not necessarily, I agree. The speaker expresses the idea in general - the microwave should be fixed. But unlike the previous sentences he doesn't say that the person represented by 'he' in this context should do it.

Similar Threads

  1. Suggest a name for grammar book
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-Apr-2008, 08:44
  2. Suggest
    By alal6375 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Nov-2007, 02:45
  3. suggest
    By anmadu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2007, 23:02
  4. Could you suggest me...?
    By dilodi83 in forum English Phrasal Verbs
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-May-2007, 16:02
  5. I suggest you to eat these food more
    By seagirl in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Oct-2004, 16:56

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •