Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. thedaffodils's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 3,973
    #1

    bump up a thread?

    Hi!

    If a thread is going to sink from the first page of a column, in order to catch more people's attention, I reply the post by myself so that the thread will appear on the top again. I see some Chinese guys usually reply " bump" or "up" , one word only, in their posts in English forums.

    Q1: Is " bump" or " up" the appropriate English expression for such a case?

    Q2: Is it a faux pas in the view of most Westerners? I hardly visit other English-oriented BBS except this so far so I am curious.

    Thank you!

  2. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,853
    #2

    Re: bump up a thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hi!

    If a thread is going to sink from the first page of a column, in order to catch more people's attention, I reply the post by myself so that the thread will appear on the top again. I see some Chinese guys usually reply " bump" or "up" , one word only, in their posts in English forums.

    Q1: Is " bump" or " up" the appropriate English expression for such a case?

    Q2: Is it a faux pas in the view of most Westerners? I hardly visit other English-oriented BBS except this so far so I am curious.

    Thank you!
    dafodil,

    Can you show us an example ( a reply) of the 'bump' practice? I have never seen it being done! I'd like to follow-up on this!

    Cheers,
    Amigo

  3. thedaffodils's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 3,973
    #3

    Re: bump up a thread?

    Hi Amigo,

    Well, here's another thread of mine, which was posted many days ago. It has been merged by other new threads since no one answers it any more. But my new answer let it appear on the first paper of this column now. So it will catch more forumites' attention, won't it?

    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...tml#post296879

  4. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #4

    Re: bump up a thread?

    The usual practice is to post bump but if you are a mod you don't have to do that.


  5. thedaffodils's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 3,973
    #5

    Re: bump up a thread?

    RonBee, thank you!

    Does " up" sound weird for native English speakers ? Actually, I saw most Chinese guys use this word.

  6. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #6

    Re: bump up a thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    RonBee, thank you!

    Does " up" sound weird for native English speakers? Actually, I've seen mostly Chinese guys use this word.
    It's all good.

  7. thedaffodils's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 3,973
    #7

    Re: bump up a thread?

    RonBee, thank you again.

  8. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,853
    #8

    Re: bump up a thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    The usual practice is to post bump but if you are a mod you don't have to do that.

    OK, RonBee...what is a 'mod' and why would you want to type 'bump' as your reply?

    Cheers,
    Amigo

  9. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #9

    Re: bump up a thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    OK, RonBee...what is a 'mod' and why would you want to type 'bump' as your reply?

    Cheers,
    Amigo
    A "mod" is a moderator. (Someone once gave me the nickname "Ron the Mod".) The moderators on this forum: Anglika, Bob K, , Ouisch, rewboss, Mr. Pedantic, and me. (I am fairly sure I have forgotten somebody.) As for "bump" that is what Red would post whem he wanted to draw attention to a certain thread. That's how I learned that.



  10. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,853
    #10

    Re: bump up a thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    A "mod" is a moderator. (Someone once gave me the nickname "Ron the Mod".) The moderators on this forum: Anglika, Bob K, , Ouisch, rewboss, Mr. Pedantic, and me. (I am fairly sure I have forgotten somebody.) As for "bump" that is what Red would post whem he wanted to draw attention to a certain thread. That's how I learned that.

    The 'Mod Squad' still lives! Thanks for providing details about the 'bump' postings!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Thread titles
    By Mohammed Abu Risha in forum Comments & Suggestions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-Jul-2009, 14:35
  2. Choose the right section for your thread
    By Tdol in forum Forum Policies and Guidelines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-May-2007, 16:27
  3. Meaning of `Big Bat' and 'Crossed thread'
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-Jan-2007, 18:56
  4. silly link to closed thread
    By Chat in forum Comments & Suggestions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Jan-2007, 23:58

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •