Results 1 to 3 of 3

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 1

    Apparently not "Snurk"

    When I was a boy in grammar school, our spelling books had a new list of spelling words each week. The last word in each list was called a snurk, which was defined as a word that is spelled differently from how it is pronounced, e.g., women, dough, psychology, etc. I have been completely unable to find any reference to the word snurk since, and was wondering if there is a "legitimate" term for words of this type.

    Thanks in advance!

  1. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882

    Re: Apparently not "Snurk"

    The term is still in use in grade schools today. Snurk refers to a spelling that does not follow the usual pronunciation rules, kids. (Hmm. Could snurk be a mnemonic?)

    If there is a linguistic term for snurk, I'd like to know what it is too.

    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 1

    Talking Re: Apparently not "Snurk"

    Hi Tommy,
    I remember snurk words - they had a symbol of a red upside-down triangle with a snake inside it. You are the only other person I've encountered that's ever mentioned snurk words! Random childhood memories

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-Aug-2007, 17:39
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-Aug-2007, 17:38
  3. can apparently only identify
    By nimsooze in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14-Apr-2007, 15:01


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts