• Native Language:
      • Slovak
      • Home Country:
      • Slovak Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Slovak Republic

Cultivate

Hello,

I would like to ask whether it is possible to use the verb TO CULTIVATE in connection with people.

I have consultated the Cambridge dictionary and found explanations as follows:

1 to prepare land and grow crops on it, or to grow a particular crop

2 to try to develop and improve something (NOT SOMEONE)

3 If you cultivate a relationship, you make a special effort to establish and develop it, because you think it might be useful to you

However, can you say that e.g. missionaries came to Africa to CULTIVATE native inhabitants (meaning to make them more cultural)? If not, which verb should be used instead?

Thank you very much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Cultivate

Quote Originally Posted by marvan View Post
    Hello,

I would like to ask whether it is possible to use the verb TO CULTIVATE in connection with people.

3 If you cultivate a relationship, you make a special effort to establish and develop it, because you think it might be useful to you

However, can you say that e.g. missionaries came to Africa to CULTIVATE native inhabitants (meaning to make them more cultural)? If not, which verb should be used instead?

Thank you very much!
    No, you can't really use "to cultivate" in this sense, how about "to educate".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Slovak
      • Home Country:
      • Slovak Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Slovak Republic

Hi,

thanks for the prompt reply. So cultivate is not the correct verb. However, I am not sure about TO EDUCATE. Does it really comprise everything connected with making someone more cultural? I feel that TO EDUCATE is closely related to teaching, studies etc. Or am I wrong?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Hi,

thanks for the prompt reply. So cultivate is not the correct verb. However, I am not sure about TO EDUCATE. Does it really comprise everything connected with making someone more cultural? I feel that TO EDUCATE is closely related to teaching, studies etc. Or am I wrong?
    "Cultivate" could work in that sense, too. Cultivate means to civilize or educate a person or group but I doubt if it was the first choice, as a veb, for a native speaker. Stick to what bhaishab suggested.
    Last edited by banderas; 19-May-2008 at 10:23. Reason: afterthought

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    No, you can't really use "to cultivate" in this sense, how about "to educate".
    I agree . However, you can also say " the missionaries came to Africa to cultivate the mind of the natives.....".

Smile Re: Cultivate

1620, from M.L. cultivatus, pp. of cultivare, from L.L. cultivus "tilled," from L. cultus (see cult). Figurative sense of "improve by training or education" is from 1681.

Does this help?

SB

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Slovak
      • Home Country:
      • Slovak Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Slovak Republic

Great! Thank you so much! It is quite clear to me now

Hello,

Thank you very much!
    I would agree (with the Cambridge dictionary) when they say to try to develop and improve something (NOT SOMEONE). I think you can cultivate their skills for example but not them. Obviously you could use "to civilize" but in these days of political correctness, this verb might sound derogatory. If you want to stick to "cultivate", you might follow arunp's suggestion (to cultivate the minds of the natives.) Otherwise bhaisahab's suggestion: "to educate". Another possibility would be "to teach them about Christianity".