• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

hit a milestone

Dear teachers,

Recenty I read the NYT’s article “Obama Is Expected to Hit a Milestone in Today’s Votes” where I noted an interesting for me expression namely “hit a milestone”. My attention was focused on the word “milestone”. I know two meanings of the word in question: “a stone marker set up on a roadside to indicate the distance in miles from a given point” and “an important event, as in a person's career, the history of a nation, or the advancement of knowledge in a field; a turning point (the point at which a very significant change occurs; a decisive moment)”

Would you be kind enough corroborate my interpretation of the expression in question namely “hit the milestone” = “reach a crucial moment” or something on the same lines?

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Regards.

V.

Re: hit a milestone

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Recenty I read the NYT’s article “Obama Is Expected to Hit a Milestone in Today’s Votes” where I noted an interesting for me expression namely “hit a milestone”. My attention was focused on the word “milestone”. I know two meanings of the word in question: “a stone marker set up on a roadside to indicate the distance in miles from a given point” and “an important event, as in a person's career, the history of a nation, or the advancement of knowledge in a field; a turning point (the point at which a very significant change occurs; a decisive moment)”

Would you be kind enough corroborate my interpretation of the expression in question namely “hit the milestone” = “reach a crucial moment” or something on the same lines?

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

Regards.

V.
    He has reached a notable point in his career and campaign. Your interpretation is on target.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: hit a milestone

Hi Anglika,

Thank you for your kindness as well as for your helpful reply.

Regards.

V.