slashed or slit?

If I see someone's hosiery or nylon is slit,should I say " Your nylon is slashed."
    Is there another way of expressing it better?

Smile Re: slashed or slit?

There's a hole in my....? I've a ladder in my....? 'Slit' is quite an ugly word and may produce a few giggles particularly in reference to undergarments, and 'slashed' implies that someone has taken out their aggression on the fabric.

SB

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: slashed or slit?

In North America it's called "a run"; e.g., You have a run in your stocking.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    In North America it's called "a run"; e.g., You have a run in your stocking.

I think we can use 'run' too, but 'ladder' is more common. At my sister's very proper convent school the girls weren't allowed to wear stockings with ladders in them - because it would be inflammatory to young men, whose thoughts might tend upwards from what they could see to what they weren't supposed to.

Oh what enlightened guardians of the young ladies' morals! One September, after an organizational change that happened during the summer holidays, the girls were told 'Now girls, during the summer guess what happened. All the Sisters became Mothers.' Happy days!

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare's brother View Post
    ... 'slashed' implies that someone has taken out their aggression on the fabric.

SB
    PS - back on topic:

That's true about 'slashed' in nearly all cases; 'slashing' nearly involves violence with a sharp object. But I can think of one exception, and coincidentally it's in the same area (clothes). A skirt with a slit in the hem (to allow the wearer to walk, in an otherwise skin-tight garment) can be called 'slashed'.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    PS - back on topic:

That's true about 'slashed' in nearly all cases; 'slashing' nearly involves violence with a sharp object. But I can think of one exception, and coincidentally it's in the same area (clothes). A skirt with a slit in the hem (to allow the wearer to walk, in an otherwise skin-tight garment) can be called 'slashed'.

b
    Bob's examples are primarily used in BrE, I believe. In North America, no one would understand what was meant by a "ladder" in their nylons, and the fabric split in skirts is always referred to as a "slit," never "slashed."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I thought the context (of the discussion) made it clear that I was talking with a Br English focus

Incidentally, people - even in England - usually call a skirt 'slashed' if they approve or disapprove strongly:

+ve 'I bought a really daring dress, with the skirt slashed all the way up to here!'
    -ve 'Her dress was outrageous - slashed nearly up to the waist!'

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by BobK;299195Incidentally, people - even in England - usually call a skirt 'slashed' if they approve or disapprove strongly:

+ve[COLOR="DarkRed"
    'I bought a really daring dress, with the skirt slashed all the way up to here!'[/COLOR]
    -ve 'Her dress was outrageous - slashed nearly up to the waist!'

b
    Again "even in England" indicates that the usage is common elsewhere, which it may very well be. But in North America, we'd say "her skirt was slit way up to here!" Not slashed. (And quit looking at women's skirts, you naughty boy!)