Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

please help me??

Choose the correct answer:

16- Many runners have taken part in the race . The action in the action in this sentence means:
    1) unfinished
    2) going on
    3) finished
    4) not complete

17- …………………… Is the distance between Nablus and Jenin ? 32 kilometers
    1) How far
    2) How long
    3) how many
    4) When
    18- The fisherman is watching the weather forecast This sentence means :
    1) The weather forecast has not started yet
    2) The weather forecast has been watched
    3) The weather forecast has started but not finished
    4) I t is over

19- PETRA is the series which was taught in Palestine prior to English for Palestine . PETRA stands for………………
    1)Problem in English Through Relevant Activities
    2) Progress in English Through Relevant Activities
    3) Progress in English Through Relevant Actions
    4) ) Progress in English Through Right Activities

20- ……………………..is some thing you can hear and see
    1)Audio
    2) Video
    3) Visual
    4) Audio – visual

21- ………………………. means to encourage the class to give a reply or say some thing .
    1) To elicit
    2) to annoy
    3) To enhance
    4) To test
    22- One of the following is a receptive oral skill It is
    1) speaking
    2) writing
    3) reading
    4) listening
    23- The process of setting up activity in class . monitoring it and following it up is called
    1) class room management
    2) competence performance
    3) close test
    4) collocation

24- A method of teaching that focuses on helping student communicate meaningfully in the target language is called :
    1) Grammar Translation Method
    2)Structural syllabus
    3) Eclectic A approach
    4) Communicative Approach

25– The theory of learning where all learning is determined by a response to a stimulus is called :
    1) Behaviorism
    2) reinforcement
    3) punishment
    4) cognition

26- The reading strategy where eye runs quickly over the to discover what it is about the main idea the gist is ……
    1) skimming
    2) scanning
    3) intensive reading
    4) extensive reading

27- The purpose of a placement test is
    1) to specify the student's particular strength and weaknesses .
    2) To select as fairy as possible the best candidates for a limited number of places
    3) To place a student on a suitable course
    4) To assess the student' s fitness for some stated purpose

28- In teaching vocabulary and comprehension , the most important words that carry the meaning are called ……………
    1) empty words
    2) key words
    3) passive words
    4) famous words

29-…………………. Offers detailed step by step lesson notes and helpful teaching methods for teachers
    1) student 's book
    2) work book
    3) teacher's book
    4) teacher's Audio cassette

30- “ Can any one tell me what we did last lesson ? “ Normally such a question is asked when a teacher is ……………………..
    1) beginning a lesson
    2) talking about a new lesson
    3) defining aims
    4) giving examples

31“ I want the whole class to repeat the phrase “ The teacher is calling for …………….
    1) individual response
    2) pair response
    3) no response
    4) choral response

Re: please help me??

Quote Originally Posted by lubna81 View Post
    Choose the correct answer:

16- Many runners have taken part in the race . The action in this sentence means:
    1) unfinished
    2) going on
    3) finished
    4) not complete

1) speaking
    2) writing
    3) reading
    4) listening

26- The reading strategy where eye runs quickly over the to discover what it is about the main idea the gist is ……
    1) skimming
    2) scanning
    3) intensive reading
    4) extensive reading

2) To select as fairy as possible the best candidates for a limited number of places

30- “ Can any one tell me what we did last lesson ? “ Normally such a question is asked when a teacher is ……………………..
    1) beginning a lesson
    3) defining aims
    4) giving examples

Hiiiiiiiiiii Anglika I want to know why my answer is wrong here in this questions please help me to understand

1) speaking
    2) writing
    3) reading
    4) listening

1) skimming
    2) scanning
    3) intensive reading
    4) extensive reading

1) beginning a lesson
    3) defining aims
    4) giving examples

Note : You didn’t correct all the question that mean the other are correct
    I want to ask you anothe question please help me Iwoner if youcan look in to this page also

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...ease-help.html

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

22. Both reading and listening are receptive skills; speaking and writing are productive skills.
    In learning a second language, listening precedes speaking, and reading precedes writing. Why is that?

Listening and Reading – Listening and reading are both receptive skills. Students are passively receiving and processing information.

Speaking and Writing – Speaking and writing are productive skills; that is, some “product” is expected. For example, a student’s receptive vocabulary is going to be much larger than his/her productive vocabulary. The same goes for reading. A student will be able to understand a well-written essay but be unable to produce one. receptive vs. productive skills
    Note that, however, listening is a receptive "aural" skill (meaning of the ear), not an "oral" skill (meaning of the mouth):
    22. One of the following is a receptive oral skill. It is

1) speaking
    2) writing
    3) reading
    4) listening

26- skim (look for the gist) vs scan (look for details)
    Skimming is used to quickly identify the main ideas of a text. When you read the newspaper, you're probably not reading it word-by-word, instead you're scanning the text. Skimming is done at a speed three to four times faster than normal reading. People often skim when they have lots of material to read in a limited amount of time. Use skimming when you want to see if an article may be of interest in your research.
    Scanning is a technique you often use when looking up a word in the telephone book or dictionary. You search for key words or ideas. In most cases, you know what you're looking for, so you're concentrating on finding a particular answer. Scanning involves moving your eyes quickly down the page seeking specific words and phrases. Scanning is also used when you first find a resource to determine whether it will answer your questions. Once you've scanned the document, you might go back and skim it. Skimming and Scanning

27- A placement test assesses/tests a student's ability; therefore, its purpose is
    1) to specify the student's particular strength and weaknesses.
    The test determines course placement. In other words, first you take the test, then you are placed in a course that is at your level.

30- "what we did last lesson" is another way of saying, "what did we do last lesson?" Note the past tense 'did'. A teacher would say that at the beginning of a lesson to review the previous/past lessson.

1) beginning a lesson

Which other questions do you want help with?
    Last edited by Soup; 23-May-2008 at 15:05.

I find the differentiation between skimming text and scanning text interesting.

To me, if you skim a text, you are only taking in the surface content; whereas scanning it would involve a more intense examination. In fact, they are so close in definition that it may be a pointless differentiation.

I wonder how much of this is subjective and how much is objective.

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiAnglika Iwant to knowwhy you choose scanninghereIn my opinion skimming is right please explain it to me

1) skimming
    2) scanning
    3) intensive reading
    4) extensive reading

My previous post says it all.

To me there is little real difference, but scanning in my mind indicates that the text is being looked at for salient points.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I find the differentiation between skimming text and scanning text interesting.

To me, if you skim a text, you are only taking in the surface content; whereas scanning it would involve a more intense examination. In fact, they are so close in definition that it may be a pointless differentiation.

I wonder how much of this is subjective and how much is objective.
    I quite agree with you.

HiiiiiiiiiiiSoup
    I want to know why you choose these answer

22. One of the following is a receptive oral skill. It is

1) speaking
    2) writing
    3) reading
    4) listening
    Note you say oral by mouth and choose listening why you didnot choose reading

1) skimming

2) scanning
    3) intensive reading
    4) extensive reading

Note : please look at your difinition for skimming and sanning and note

Skimming is used to quickly identify the main ideas of a text. When you read the newspaper, you're probably not reading it word-by-word, instead you're scanning the text. Skimming is done at a speed three to four times faster than normal reading. People often skim when they have lots of material to read in a limited amount of time. Use skimming when you want to see if an article may be of interest in your research.
    Scanning is a technique you often use when looking up a word in the telephone book or dictionary. You search for key words or ideas. In most cases, you know what you're looking for, so you're concentrating on finding a particular answer. Scanning involves moving your eyes quickly down the page seeking specific words and phrases. Scanning is also used when you first find a resource to determine whether it will answer your questions. Once you've scanned the document, you might go back and skim it. Skimming and Scanning

Note your answer refer to Diagnostic test not placement
    What your opinion

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi lubna81

First, say, "I want to know why you chose these answers", not "you choose".

Second, the phrase "receptive oral skill" should be "receptive aural skill". Speaking is a productive oral skill, listening is a receptive aural skill. Note that the tests gives the phrase 'receptive oral skill'. To my knowledge some people use that phrase incorrectly to refer to listening skills.

Third, skim for the main gist, skan for specific details. The definitions I provided say it all. Skim is the answer. Please see my post, #4. You are confusing the posts.

Fourth, before a student can be placed in a course, strengths and weaknesses need to be assessed first. The order is, assessment then course placement. Please see my post #4. You are confusing who said what.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast