Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 664
    #1

    Cool everybody

    Hi,

    Which one is correct?

    Everybody is changing his mind all the time.

    or

    Everybody are changing their minds all the time


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #2

    Re: everybody

    Everybody is...

    You can use "his" or "their" interchangeably in this sentence.

  1. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    #3

    Re: everybody

    Or "his/her"

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 664
    #4

    Cool Re: everybody

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Everybody is...

    You can use "his" or "their" interchangeably in this sentence.
    Thanks. Same about is & are ?


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #5

    Re: everybody

    Quote Originally Posted by bieasy View Post
    Thanks. Same about is & are ?
    No. Everybody = each person = singular verb

    "Their" is used to indicate that specific sex is not known. Otherwise it would be his or her

  2. philadelphia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 838
    #6

    Re: everybody

    Even though this one works (1), I would rather keep using the second (2) which sounds more common to me (I'm from France).

    (1) Everybody is changing their minds all the time.
    (2) Everybody is changing his mind all the time.

    Not a teacher at all.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #7

    Re: everybody

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    No. Everybody = each person = singular verb

    "Their" is used to indicate that specific sex is not known. Otherwise it would be his or her
    That's been the tale told anyway. 'Everybody' could easily equal "every body" and it, in fact, does. Though by convention/usage, everyone/everybody uses a singular verb it is most often felt to be a notionally plural hence the prescriptive 'him' just never caught on in natural language use.

    The use of 'everyone/their', for most situations, is the most natural. 'his or her' definitely works for some situations, but often it is clunky.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 664
    #8

    Cool Re: everybody

    Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post
    Even though this one works (1), I would rather keep using the second (2) which sounds more common to me (I'm from France).

    (1) Everybody is changing their minds all the time.
    (2) Everybody is changing his mind all the time.

    Not a teacher at all.
    MerÁi.

  3. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #9

    Re: everybody

    Quote Originally Posted by bieasy View Post
    Hi,

    Which one is correct?

    Everybody is changing his mind all the time.

    or

    Everybody are changing their minds all the time
    Frankly, I don't like either of them. Try:
    People change their minds all the time.

  4. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #10

    Re: everybody

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Frankly, I don't like either of them. Try:
    People change their minds all the time.
    Minds are changing all the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •