Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 773
    #1

    compact communities?

    Hello Everyone,

    The following sentence is taken from my interpreting book. I would like to know if " compact communities" is proper in the following sentence. Is it peculiar to you?

    ...Since the founding of the people's republic of China, regional autonomy has been practiced in places where ethnic minorities live in compact communities...


    Regards

    Sky

  1. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #2

    Re: compact communities?



    ...Since the founding of the People's Republic of China, regional autonomy has been practiced in places where ethnic minorities live in compact communities...

    It means self-sufficient.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 773
    #3

    Re: compact communities?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    ...Since the founding of the People's Republic of China, regional autonomy has been practiced in places where ethnic minorities live in compact communities...
    It means self-sufficient.
    You mean that compact commuities here mean the ethnic minorities supply themselves with daily necessities and don't need to rely on other groups?

  2. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #4

    Re: compact communities?

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    You mean that compact commuities here mean the ethnic minorities supply themselves with daily necessities and don't need to rely on other groups?
    More like closely and firmly united.

    Chinese (Simplified):紧凑的Chinese (Traditional):緊湊的

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 773
    #5

    Re: compact communities?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    More like closely and firmly united.

    Chinese (Simplified):紧凑的Chinese (Traditional):緊湊的
    谢谢!

Similar Threads

  1. Bear Mountain Compact =?
    By rainbow402 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-Mar-2008, 07:10
  2. conviviality of communities?
    By bosun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Dec-2006, 21:39
  3. I cannot understand this Compact.
    By Casperz in forum Text Analysis and Statistics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-Sep-2006, 04:44
  4. monster compact of spite?
    By oldman2 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Sep-2005, 21:36

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •