Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #1

    throughout and beside

    Dear teachers,

    I have two questions to ask:

    No.1
    __________ the next two years in studying, their friendship blossomed into love.

    a. Over b. Throughout

    The key is "a", no problem. Could you please kindly explain why "b" isn't correct?

    No.2
    The moment she reached home she sank into an armchair__________ the door.

    a. beside b. by
    The key is "b", no problem. Could please kindly explain why "a" isn't correct?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

  1. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #2

    Re: throughout and beside

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

    I have two questions to ask:

    No.1
    __________ the next two years in studying, their friendship blossomed into love.

    a. Over b. Throughout

    The key is "a", no problem. Could you please kindly explain why "b" isn't correct?
    I don't know. After all, that one (b) was my choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    No.2
    The moment she reached home she sank into an armchair__________ the door.

    a. beside b. by
    The key is "b", no problem. Could please kindly explain why "a" isn't correct?
    I don't know. That one (a) is fine with me.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #3

    Re: throughout and beside

    Dear RonBee,

    Thank you very much for your explanation.

    No.1 If you think "b' is correct then it must be the textbook writer who made a mistake.
    No.2
    Do you mean both are fine to you?

    Jiang

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    I don't know. After all, that one (b) was my choice.


    I don't know. That one (a) is fine with me.

  2. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #4

    Re: throughout and beside

    No.1
    a. Over the [span] of the next two years, their friendship [gradually] blossomed into love.

    b. At every moment and point, everywhere, throughout the next two years, their friendship blossomed into love.


    No.2
    a. Beside means near and next to, but way back in the day it used to mean "nearby". Could it be that the test is focusing on that meaning?

    b. By is synonymous with near and next to.

  3. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #5

    Re: throughout and beside

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear RonBee,

    Thank you very much for your explanation.

    No.1 If you think "b' is correct then it must be the textbook writer who made a mistake.
    No.2
    Do you mean both are fine to you?

    Jiang
    Yes, they are both fine (as Soup pointed out). In the first one, you could put "Throughout" in the blank and I wouldn't say it is wrong (obviously), but "Over" is perfectly fine. You can choose one word over another, but that doesn't always mean that the word you didn't choose is wrong. As always, it is context that determines what a word or sentence means.

    ~R


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 135
    #6

    Re: throughout and beside

    Hi Soup,

    No.1
    a. Over the [span] of the next two years, their friendship [gradually] blossomed into love.

    b. At every moment and point, everywhere, throughout the next two years, their friendship blossomed into love.
    => According to your explanation, I assume both options can possibly be correct. Am I right?


    No.2
    a. Beside means near and next to, but way back in the day it used to mean "nearby". Could it be that the test is focusing on that meaning?

    b. By is synonymous with near and next to.
    => As for this, I still think both options are correct (because any way, the word "beside" can be used with the meaning of "near" and "next to", can't it?

    Many thanks
    Newbie

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #7

    Re: throughout and beside

    Hi,

    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    No.1
    a. Over the [span] of the next two years, their friendship [gradually] blossomed into love.

    b. At every moment and point, everywhere, throughout the next two years, their friendship blossomed into love.


    No.2
    a. Beside means near and next to, but way back in the day it used to mean "nearby". Could it be that the test is focusing on that meaning?

    b. By is synonymous with near and next to.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #8

    Re: throughout and beside

    Dear RonBee,

    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Yes, they are both fine (as Soup pointed out). In the first one, you could put "Throughout" in the blank and I wouldn't say it is wrong (obviously), but "Over" is perfectly fine. You can choose one word over another, but that doesn't always mean that the word you didn't choose is wrong. As always, it is context that determines what a word or sentence means.

    ~R

  4. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #9

    Re: throughout and beside

    Dear newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    => According to your explanation, I assume both options can possibly be correct. Am I right?
    Only a) is correct. The reason being, context: love "blossoms" (flowers) over time, not throughout time. Does that help?

    Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    => As for this, I still think both options are correct (because any way, the word "beside" can be used with the meaning of "near" and "next to", can't it?
    Yes. Both beside and by are possible answers-- for Modern English.


  5. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #10

    Re: throughout and beside

    Having rethought this one, I have changed my mind.

    Over the next two years, their friendship blossomed into love.
    Throughout the next two years, their friendship blossomed into love.
    I would not use "Throughout" as it is used in the second sentence. (Soup has explained that.)

    In my defense, the blank came at the start of the sentence where either seemed possible. I apologize for being so stubborn. (It's a family trait. )

    Throughout:
    Throughout the next two years, they made love regularly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •