Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    #1

    do or make

    Dear Teachers,

    Which one is more common to say in the UK? I feel it is "make" in the UK.
    And which one in the USA?
    Do/make all the running?

    Cheers
    Banderas

  2. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,843
    #2

    Re: do or make

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    Dear Teachers,

    Which one is more common to say in the UK? I feel it is "make" in the UK.
    And which one in the USA?
    Do/make all the running?

    Cheers
    Banderas
    Banderas, can you give us more context, please? I'm not sure what you are asking.

    Cheers,
    Amigo

  3. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    #3

    Re: do or make

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Banderas, can you give us more context, please? I'm not sure what you are asking.

    Cheers,
    Amigo
    Hi, Amigos,
    I do/make all the running meaning I am the person who causes things to happen or develop. It is me who does the most work. Is it used at all?

    I came across some strange Polish-English online dictionary that translated (incorrectly) "do my own stuff" into "do/make all the running". Then I started wondering why two possibilities: "make/do"
    Last edited by banderas; 27-May-2008 at 02:32. Reason: typo


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #4

    Re: do or make

    If you make all the running, then you are the person putting in the effort.

    I think you will find the expression is the same on both sides of the Atlantic. As you suggest, the dictionary has it wrong.

  4. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    #5

    Re: do or make

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    If you make all the running, then you are the person putting in the effort.

    I think you will find the expression is the same on both sides of the Atlantic. As you suggest, the dictionary has it wrong.
    Thanks, Anglika, I am fine with the meaning. So you say "do all the running" is not used whatsoever?

  5. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,843
    #6

    Re: do or make

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    If you make all the running, then you are the person putting in the effort.

    I think you will find the expression is the same on both sides of the Atlantic.
    Hi, Anglika!

    Friendly discussion time!

    If I am the person putting in the effort, I am doing most of the work. I have not heard make all the running as common usage in the US. I can do all of the work and make all of the decisions but I'm not familiar with make all the running.

    In your example, is making the company run smoothly the same as make all the running?

    Cheers,
    Amigo


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #7

    Re: do or make

    "make [all] the running" = to be the person who causes things to happen and develop - who makes the effort.

    Men used to make all the running at the start of a courtship, but women often do it nowadays.

    If we want this campaign to be a success, it's up to us to make the running.

    It is a colloquial idiom and quite distinct from doing something. Most often I have met it in terms of someone trying to set up a relationship where he/she does all the phoning/texting/inviting out and so on, and occasionally in terms of political situations, but rarely anywhere else.

  6. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,843
    #8

    Re: do or make

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    "make [all] the running" = to be the person who causes things to happen and develop - who makes the effort.

    Men used to make all the running at the start of a courtship, but women often do it nowadays.
    If we want this campaign to be a success, it's up to us to make the running.

    It is a colloquial idiom and quite distinct from doing something. Most often I have met it in terms of someone trying to set up a relationship where he/she does all the phoning/texting/inviting out and so on, and occasionally in terms of political situations, but rarely anywhere else.
    Thanks, Anglika! I understand the concept but the phrasing still seems strange to my native ear. I would be inclined to say that "I do all of the leg work for our company/campaign."

    I hope other North Americans will chime in with their thoughts!

    Cheers,
    Amigo


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #9

    Re: do or make

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Thanks, Anglika! I understand the concept but the phrasing still seems strange to my native ear. I would be inclined to say that "I do all of the leg work for our company/campaign."

    I hope other North Americans will chime in with their thoughts!

    Cheers,
    Amigo
    We NaE speakers also have, "do all the running around for something/somebody" [similar to Amigo's "leg work" example] but it doesn't carry much of a sense of responsibility. It sounds like more of a gopher/gofer.

    "do a lot of running here and there putting out fires for somebody/something" carries a meaning of greater importance.

    I think there are others. They seem to be just out of reach of this old memory, maybe tucked under too many brain folds preventing easy reach.
    Last edited by riverkid; 27-May-2008 at 03:23.

  7. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,512
    #10

    Re: do or make

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post

    I think there are others.

    Like "do somebody's dirty work"? How different it is from "leg work"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. make a cause
    By optimistic pessimist in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-May-2008, 08:26
  2. make it clear; make clear
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Dec-2007, 04:38
  3. do/make?
    By Carmenn in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16-May-2007, 10:48
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-Apr-2007, 17:39

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •