1. zuly

Smile The definition of words?

Hello !

I am a college student and I have to give an informative speech. I want to talk about something that i once learned about very briefly but sounded so interesting then. i dont know what its called but let me give you an example.

the word breakfast: yes it mean that its the 1st meal in the day but what we dont know that reason the word was created was because the word meant to break your fast.

do you know where i can find some more of these words and what is this type of thing called?

Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: The definition of words?

Quote Originally Posted by zuly View Post
    Hello !

I am a college student and I have to give an informative speech. I want to talk about something that i once learned about very briefly but sounded so interesting then. i dont know what its called but let me give you an example.

the word breakfast: yes it mean that its the 1st meal in the day but what we dont know that reason the word was created was because the word meant to break your fast.

do you know where i can find some more of these words and what is this type of thing called?

Thank you
    Try here Bundle Words
    Some words are bundles of two or more words, like can-did or super-in-ten-dent, and are called charades. Sometimes the components can suggest a definition very different from the whole word’s real meaning, in which case the charade is called a bundle word, a subset of daffynitions. There are hundreds of charades in English but few good bundle words. Here are a few of the more interesting ones. (Click the above link)
    Hope it helps!!

Re: The definition of words?

STOP STOP

These are humourous definitions, intended as puns.
    eg adamant - = adam (of Adam and Eve, the first people created) + ant =ant

Hence, 'adamant' means 'the first ant'

However, the origin of breakfast, meaning break one's fast (no food whilst sleeping overnight) is genuine - no joke!