meaning

Hi,

could you please tell me what "noncontributory with" and "afforded to" mean in the following sentence:

Supplier´s insurance will be primary to and noncontributory with any and all insurance maintained by or afforded to the company.

I would say that "noncontributory with" means that these are two independent insurance policies and each party pays its own premiums and "afforded to" could mean "provided to"?

Thanks a lot!

Hanka

Re: meaning

|As I understand it: Company X receives goods from a Supplier. Both are covered by separate insurance policies.
    Something is damaged or lost. Then it is the supplier's insurance that carries the burden of reimbursement (primary)

noncontributory: what say the supplier said to Company X, you claim on your own insurance, and we'll make up (contribute) any shortfall in covering the cost of damage or loss. Oh, no, says this part of the contract. Let's be very clear. It is the supplier who is primary in providing insurance -( 'primary to...insurance that our Company X has') to cover these costs...and continues to spell this out, and make it clear, the Supplier does not just make a contribution towards the costs and expects Company X's insurance to also pay part of the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    |As I understand it: Company X receives goods from a Supplier. Both are covered by separate insurance policies.
    Something is damaged or lost. Then it is the supplier's insurance that carries the burden of reimbursement (primary)

noncontributory: what say the supplier said to Company X, you claim on your own insurance, and we'll make up (contribute) any shortfall in covering the cost of damage or loss. Oh, no, says this part of the contract. Let's be very clear. It is the supplier who is primary in providing insurance -( 'primary to...insurance that our Company X has') to cover these costs...and continues to spell this out, and make it clear, the Supplier does not just make a contribution towards the costs and expects Company X's insurance to also pay part of the costs.
    I understand "primary", but I am still confused about "noncontributory". The company X's insurance will also be used?
    Or does it just say more clearly the same as "primary"? That the supplier´s insurance is primary to the company´s insurance and that it will cover the main part and not only contribute to the company´s insurance?

You may well be right - but I can't see how a Company you are doing business with should expect you to contribute to the payment of their own business overheads.

Hopefully, there will be other posters more knowledgeable about these matters.