• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: Richard_Littlejohn webchat (UK)

Peter: What's your view on the United Kingdom as it stands? Does it need serious reforming or should it be dissolved and each member part be allowed to go its own way?
    Richard_Littlejohn Peter, I think the Union is in a precarious state because of the cavalier policies of the past 10 years. Those of us who warned that devolution would lead to the break-up of the kingdom were shouted down, but we look like being proved right. I'm a unionist but I don't think you can coerce people into staying together.
    Hello!

Q1: What's the difference between " reform" and "reforming"? Can I replace "reforming" with " reform" here?

Q2: What does " cavalier policies" refer to? I fail to fish a key out of the Internet sources.

Q3: Is "the Union" nickname for the UK or it was coined by Lilltejohn only?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hello!

Q1: What's the difference between " reform" and "reforming"? Can I replace "reforming" with " reform" here? You could.

Q2: What does " cavalier policies" refer to? I fail to fish a key out of the Internet sources. The adjective "cavalier" means to show a lack of proper concern or being careless so "cavalier policies" are policies that show no understanding or concern for the effect they are having.

Q3: Is "the Union" nickname for the UK or it was coined by Lilltejohn only? The Union is the Union of the Kingdoms of England and Scotland. It is not a nickname.

Thanks in advance!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Q3: Is "the Union" nickname for the UK or it was coined by Lilltejohn only? The Union is the Union of the Kingdoms of England and Scotland. It is not a nickname.
    Thank you, Anglika. Why does the Union exclude North Ireland and Wales in your answer above?

It was the Union of the Kingdoms - England and Scotland. Both Wales and Ireland were under the rule of the Kingdom of England.

This is a reasonably clear explanation: Oxford DNB theme: England, Scotland, and the Acts of Union (1707)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Anglika, thank you very much! I will read that.