• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

shabby

Dear teachers,

If a car looks old or in poor condition can I say "It looks shabby"?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: shabby

• A familiar morning sight, and a thoroughly characteristic one, is that of a fine car driving up to a good-class house, followed by a shabby car, which takes
      • The car has only one wiper, one door mirror and other things that make it look like a shabby car.
      • I once walked through a town with fifteen minutes in hand before my meeting, I noticed the rather shabby car park opposite that is attached to a Fitness ...
      • You may drive a shabby car, but you might be a great dancer and a loyal friend.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see. Could you please tell me in which dictionary you found the examples?

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post

• A familiar morning sight, and a thoroughly characteristic one, is that of a fine car driving up to a good-class house, followed by a shabby car, which takes
      • The car has only one wiper, one door mirror and other things that make it look like a shabby car.
      • I once walked through a town with fifteen minutes in hand before my meeting, I noticed the rather shabby car park opposite that is attached to a Fitness ...
      • You may drive a shabby car, but you might be a great dancer and a loyal friend.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

The human dictionary, of course. Google.

Jiang, by the way, you could save yourself some time and effort by clicking on the "Thanks" key located at the bottom corner of each post. This way you needn't type in the long & formal "thanks" every time you post.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi,

I do click on the "Thanks" key the first time I receive a reply. I am just worried that if I don't type in a sence it would be impolite. Now since you suggest I don't need to type in the long and & formal "thanks" I will follow your advice. I hope nobody will feel I am impolite.

Jiang
    The human dictionary, of course. Google.

Jiang, by the way, you could save yourself some time and effort by clicking on the "Thanks" key located at the bottom corner of each post. This way you needn't type in the long & formal "thanks" every time you post.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

by the way, you could save yourself some time and effort by clicking on the "Thanks" key located at the bottom corner of each post. This way you needn't type in the long & formal "thanks" every time you post.
    I agree! I personally click on the offcial-forum thank you button even if a post is not useful for me. If I find it useful and interesting in a general sense or useful for the asking person, I go ahead and give the official thank you. It is a good practice, I believe.

If I were using 'shabby' to describe a car, I would be referring to the interior only, in particular the upholstery, which would be torn, dirty, faded. The dashboard maybe faded by the sun. I wouldn't refer to the outer bodywork of a car that is dented, with poor paint work, as 'shabby'. 'shabby' has the sense of threadbare and faded from wear.
    So, we use 'shabby' to describe clothes, and again, furniture such as couches and settees and other upholstery items which would be out-of-date, very worn to the extent of having holes, and maybe lost it 'springiness' so it looks like the cushions sag.
    Of a car, I'd be saying "it's a bomb' 'it's a wreck', 'it looks a wreck', 'it's ready for the scrapyard'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    So, we use 'shabby' to describe clothes, and again, furniture such as couches and settees and other upholstery items
    I agree. I would add buildings to this description yet.