• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 291,337
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi,

I need to write a letter to two people at the same company. I don't want to use CC. Would the following format for the receiver's address and salutation be correct?

Mrs. Annabel Henfeld
Mr. Curtis Primrow
Prestonia Ltd
39 Leicester Square
London WC3H 8LA

Dear Mrs. Henfeld and Mr. Primrow

or (less formal)

Dear Annabel and Curtis

Thank you.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
This is neither correct nor acceptable, rather it will be termed as impolite. In case you do not want to mark a copy to the second person, address the same letter to two persons separately.

Aligor

Member Type
Other
Manas,

I have seen letters addressed like this and don't agree that they are impolite. How can CC-ing the second person be more polite than addressing the letter to two people? I agree that sending the same letter to two people separately is probably the best choice, but there are cases when addressing a letter to two people can also be acceptable.

Last edited:

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
not a teacher

Dear Mrs. Henfeld and Mr. Primrow

This looks fine to me. Why is it impolite?

There is another way to go about it - Address the letter to the company and put it to attention of the two persons.

XXX Co,
Address

Attention: Mrs Henfeld & Mr. Primrow

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Unless the two people are in the same office and sharing a desk, it is more logical to send each one a copy.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: And you can avoid any possible hint of impoliteness (some people are very conscious of hierarchies, and are quick to take offence if they get a CC of a letter actually addressed to someone they regard as an inferior [I'm not defending this sort of silliness, but I'm aware that office poilitics are a reality] you can personalize your CC with some sort of scribbled note like 'Curtis - do forgive the CC, but I wanted to ask you the same questions as I asked Annabel'. You could even write this on a Post-It, and they could file it or not as they wished.

b

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
There's a practical reason for writing two letters instead of one: both people are sure to get it their letter. ;-)

Kraken

Member Type
Student or Learner
I need to write a letter to two people at the same company. I don't want to use CC.

Beg your pardon, but...
Do you have to write 1 letter so they share it, or can you write two letters?

If so, do they have to be identical?

If not, why not address each one to the receiver( as someone has already suggested)?

One of them to Mrs. Henfeld and the other one toMr. Primrow.

If you want to inform them that they have been sent identical letters, write something like "I have sent a copy to XXX".

Not a teacher and maybe I have not understood your problem alright, but I hope it helps. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.