1. isa sayın

learning english

my question is very clearly. how can i improve my english by myself?

Re: learning english

I'm not a techer, but I have studied quite a lot on my own.

1. Find the lyrics of the songs you like. You will learn a lot of vocabulary and pronuntiation.
    2. watch films in English with subtitles:
    a- in your mother tongue, to get a general meaning
    b- in English, so you can associate the words with the sounds.
    3. Browse the Internet for articles and google each word/idiom you want to know more about.
    4. Find some online dictionaries (not translators), to find the words you don't know.
    5. Find a nice forum where you can ask a techer when in doubt... Wait, but you have already done that, havent you?

Good luck!

Unhappy Re: learning english

The quick answer is: you CAN'T learn English by yourself. It's not a spectator sport. you have to communicate with other English speakers and negotiate meaning.

I've had to suffer through Koreans in my English class who thought they could speak Korean in class and just absorb English by listening to me speak. What a miserable experience.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

I have taught myself for four months and must admit it is getting harder. However, to improve your English quickly, here are some things needed:

Have a native speaker of English (pen pal) - in order for you to get an English way of writing/speaking.

Have a good grammar book and an appropriate dictionary - not to both make obvious and stupid mistakes, and evidently write better.

Do not stop practising - you have to be immersed in it, everyday.

Go abroad as soon as possible - (thing that I have not do yet) you will get the most!

Not a teacher at all.

Quote Originally Posted by hinomura View Post
    The quick answer is: you CAN'T learn English by yourself. It's not a spectator sport. you have to communicate with other English speakers and negotiate meaning.

I've had to suffer through Koreans in my English class who thought they could speak Korean in class and just absorb English by listening to me speak. What a miserable experience.
    Take it easy mate, maybe you didn't read it properly.
    He said "improve", not "learn".

Anyway, and with my utmost respect towards you, I completely disagree with you on this one. I have learnt most of the English I know all alone, by myself. When I was a kid there was not such a thing as the Internet, no posh DVDs with subtitles and different languages, and it was really hard to find books in English. And even then, they were hardly affordable.
    If you knew what a man can learn on his own with a dictionary, you'd be amazed. So, providing that today one can easily find good advice on the Internet, articles, grammar, phonetics, pronuntiation and whatnot, I take it for granted that you can, at least, improve your English on your own.

By the way, on your own doesn't necessarily imply "without any contact with other human beings". Alone as you can be, if you are connected to the Internet, you are not alone anymore. You can communicate with other learners and with teachers in order to improve your English; not to "negotiate meaning (?)".

A talentless student won't acquire any talent from a teacher.
    A lazy student won't absorbe much knowledge from a teacher.
    But someone who likes English and who is willing to learn, will do wonders, either with or withouth help.

Of course, we all can do with a little help from our friends.

Thumbs down Re: learning english

hijo de la chingada. . . . .

another one who thinks that the internet solves all problems.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    A talentless student won't acquire any talent from a teacher.
    A lazy student won't absorbe much knowledge from a teacher.
    But someone who likes English and who is willing to learn, will do wonders, either with or withouth help.

Of course, we all can do with a little help from our friends.
    (Beatles-Fan? )

Hinumoura,

on the hand, you are right. One should keep in mind, however, that there are many people who don't have the chance to communicate with native speakers in 'real life'. Surely, the internet is not a perfect substitute (above all, when it comes to speaking), but a preferable solution if you aren't surrounded by native speakers. I have learned much more here than I have ever done before in my lessons at school (apart from one teacher). But of course, there is nothing like learning English abroad.
    Last edited by Snowcake; 02-Jun-2008 at 09:03.

Quote Originally Posted by hinomura View Post
    hijo de la chingada. . . . .

another one who thinks that the internet solves all problems.

Before we go on with this:
    Do you know what "hijo de la chingada" means?
    What were you thiking of when you called me "son of a bitch"?

By the way, I will tell you that that is a Mexican saying, not used at all in Spain.

Anyway, I think you should know that calling someone "hijo de la chingada" is not just unkind or unpolite. It's rude and utterly offensive.

I'm giving you the benefit of doubt. Maybe you didn't mean it. Maybe you think it's just colloquial, a phrase to use between friends.
    Only that we have not met, and we haven't talked so much as to consider ourselves close friends, which would be the only case in which I would not feel offended.

It's up to you, but I'd like to know for sure.