Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 21
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Can x be able to may x might

    Please help.

    Can you give the difference in uses of them?
    Or would you please direct me to another place to find it in grammar search?

    Thank you.
    Edmoura

  1. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Can x be able to may x might



    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Can x be able to may x might

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Click on these links,

    may/might
    AskOxford: Might or May?
    Brian's errors and OED's errors.

    ==================
    Might or May?
    People often confuse 'may have' and 'might have'. 'May have' should be used only when you are not sure whether or not something happened. If you want to say that at some time in the past it was possible for something to happen but in fact it did not, use 'might have'. So saying 'an accident in which two people may have drowned' implies that you do not know whether the people are alive or dead; if you say 'two people might have drowned', you are implying that they survived, although the accident could in other circumstances have led to their deaths.
    ================

    From the OED:
    "So saying 'an accident in which two people may have drowned' implies that you do not know whether the people are alive or dead;"


    This is false, except for those times when you want to say this, as in,

    "The two have been missing in the mountains for a week. Some think that they may have drowned in one of the fast flowing rivers found in spring."

    But the same thing can be expressed with 'might'. The difference is that the level of certainty being expressed is lower. 'might' is NOT saying that "you are implying that they survived".

    "The two have been missing in the mountains for a week. Some think that they might have drowned in one of the fast flowing rivers found in spring."

    Other times, as is shown below, they simply state their own range of certainty.

    Speaker feels;

    100% sure - They would have drowned if that man hadn't thrown them the tube.

    90-99% sure - They almost certainly would have drowned if that man hadn't thrown them the tube.

    51-89% sure - They probably would have drowned if that man hadn't thrown them the tube.

    26-50% sure - They may have drowned if that man hadn't thrown them the tube.

    1-25% sure - They might have drowned if that man hadn't thrown them the tube.
    Last edited by riverkid; 31-May-2008 at 18:53.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Can x be able to may x might

    Can, Could and To Be Able To

    I went as far as #4. I think that this one is even worse.
    Last edited by riverkid; 31-May-2008 at 19:09.

  2. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Can x be able to may x might

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Can, Could and To Be Able To

    I went as far as #4. I think that this one is even worse.
    Well, tell us why. After all, that's what we hope to expect from all your hard work. I sincerely appreciate you, riverkid. This forum needs more people like you.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Can x be able to may x might

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Well, tell us why. After all, that's what we hope to expect from all your hard work. I sincerely appreciate you, riverkid. This forum needs more people like you.
    I appreciate the nice comments, Soup. Thank you. But do you think it's fair that I do all the work? You're a capable person and you are the one who linked to these sources.

  3. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,958
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Thumbs down Re: Can x be able to may x might

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Can, Could and To Be Able To

    I went as far as #4. I think that this one is even worse.


    4. They ____________ go. The weather was too bad.

    A weren't able to
    B can't
    C couldn't


    If you choose A, you get the remark: 'Very good. This is in fact the best answer because 'was/would (be) able to' refers to ability in a specific situation'.
    If you choose C, you get this: 'OK but there is a better answer. Find it and find out why'.

    How come answer A is a better answer? Rubbish!

  4. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Can x be able to may x might

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    I appreciate the nice comments, Soup. Thank you. But do you think it's fair that I do all the work? You're a capable person and you are the one who linked to these sources.
    One person's useful source is another person's nightmare.

    I am more than happy and willing to leave the work up to you.

  5. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Can x be able to may x might

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post


    4. They ____________ go. The weather was too bad.

    A weren't able to
    B can't
    C couldn't

    If you choose A, you get the remark: 'Very good. This is in fact the best answer because 'was/would (be) able to' refers to ability in a specific situation'.
    If you choose C, you get this: 'OK but there is a better answer. Find it and find out why'.

    How come answer A is a better answer? Rubbish!
    Uhm, did you find out why?

  6. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Can x be able to may x might

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post


    4. They ____________ go. The weather was too bad.

    A weren't able to
    B can't
    C couldn't

    If you choose A, you get the remark: 'Very good. This is in fact the best answer because 'was/would (be) able to' refers to ability in a specific situation'.
    If you choose C, you get this: 'OK but there is a better answer. Find it and find out why'.

    How come answer A is a better answer? Rubbish!
    I agree. "They couldn't go" (C) is equally good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •