• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile dole out their delegates

Hi, I'm coming to ask questions again.

Democratic leaders are debating what to do with Michigan and Florida. They held primaries before they were supposed to.And now officials in Washington are working on formulas to dole out their delegates.

I have four questions about the overstriking words:

1. Does 'officials in Washington' mean the officials in the White House/the US government? In my opinion, the captial stands for the government.
    2. Does 'work on formulas' means 'according to the formulas/regulations'?
    3. Does 'dole out' means 'cancel'?
    4. What does 'dole out their delegates' mean? Does it mean that to cancel/remove the delegates of the two states, whose number of the delegates won't be counted in the presidential election?

I don't know if I make myself clear. Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: dole out their delegates

Quote Originally Posted by lovecindy View Post
    Hi, I'm coming to ask questions again.

Democratic leaders are debating what to do with Michigan and Florida. They held primaries before they were supposed to.And now officials in Washington are working on formulas to dole out their delegates.

I have four questions about the overstriking words:

1. Does 'officials in Washington' mean the officials in the White House/the US government? No, it means Democratic Party officials. In my opinion, the captial stands for the government.
    2. Does 'work on formulas' means 'according to the formulas/regulations'? No, it means to study different ideas for deciding how many delegates will support each candidate.
    3. Does 'dole out' means 'cancel'? No, it means to award or assign delegates to support each candidate.
    4. What does 'dole out their delegates' mean? Does it mean that to cancel/remove the delegates of the two states, whose number of the delegates won't be counted in the presidential election? No, see above. The delegates were initially disqualified because the primary elections were held illegally. Now the democratic party is deciding how to allow those delegates to be counted. (I think they decided to allow all those delegates to support their candidates, but each delegate will have only half a vote.)

I don't know if I make myself clear. Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile Re: dole out their delegates

Thank you, 2006.

So who are the 'officials in Washington' depend on the context, they may be Democratic Party officials or Republican Party officials, right? 'Working on formulas' means to work out/formulate formulas(methods) to solve the problem, And, 'dole out their delegates' means redistribute by certain proportion, in this news, is 1/2, provided that Obama won 100 votes, Hillary won 150 votes, now Obama has 50 votes, while Hillary has 75 votes which will be counted, right?
    Last edited by lovecindy; 02-Jun-2008 at 02:45.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by lovecindy View Post
    Thank you, 2006. You're welcome.

So who are the 'officials in Washington' depend on the context, they may be Democratic Party officials or Republican Party officials, right? Yes, but in other contexts they may be government officials/workers.

'Working on formulas' means to work out/formulate formulas(methods) to solve the problem, Yes, it means to choose a formula/method to solve the problem.

And, 'dole out their delegates' means redistribute by certain proportion, in this news, is 1/2, provided that Obama won 100 votes, Hillary won 150 votes, now Obama has 50 votes, while Hillary has 75 votes which will be counted, right? Yes, that is how I understand it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thank you very much. Now I fully understand it.