an SAT question

Fellow Countrymen:
    At this second appearing to take the oath of the Presidential office there is less occasion for an extended address than there was at the first. Then a statement somewhat in detail of a course to be pursued seemed fitting and proper. Now, at the expiration of four years, during which public declarations have been constantly called forth on every point and phase of the great contest which still absorbs the attention and engrosses the energies of the nation, little that is new could be presented. The progress of our arms, upon which all else chiefly depends, is as well known to the public as to myself, and it is, I trust, reasonably satisfactory and encouraging to all. With high hope for the future, no prediction in regard to it is ventured.

Question: Why does Lincoln say there is less occasion for an extended address?
    a) the war is going well
    b) there is no time to speak at length
    c) there is little interest in his speech
    d) he doesn't know what else to say
    e) everyone already knows his position

The answer is e. But I don't get it, I think it should be d or c
    Last edited by belly_ttt; 02-Jun-2008 at 06:33.

Re: an SAT question

... at the expiration of four years, during which public declarations have been constantly called forth on every point and phase of the great contest which still absorbs the attention and engrosses the energies of the nation, little that is new could be presented.
    The people are very interested in what is happening - Lincoln says, red highlight - what more can I say that hasn't already been said, and that the people don't know about?
    Hence, not 'c', but 'e'
    He continues in that vein:
    The progress of our arms, upon which all else chiefly depends, is as well known to the public as to myself, and it is, I trust, reasonably satisfactory and encouraging to all.

Which words suggest to you that the public are not interested in his speech?

Re: an SAT question

d and b, not c, I'm sorry