• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: How much rewriting is enough?

Rewriting is an essence of writing well, if you want to become an expert in writing then it would be very necessary for writer to have rewriting in limit. In the starting rewriting will be more but after some time if you become expert then rewriting will remove from your writing.

Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I have nothing against rewriting if you use the idea and want to add new facts to it. But when it's a simple rewriting of a text with different words, I do not think it will be a good idea...

3. VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I have not read all the posts.

I hope that no one has already cited these quotations:

"If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out." -- George Orwell (author).

"Meaning is fogged when sentences are freighted with unnecessary words." -- Harold Evans (journalist).

"[T]here is no such thing as good writing; there is only good rewriting." -- Ronald C. White, Jr. (educator).

Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I think it's impossible to call the EXACT number of times an author should use to rewrite their work to reach perfection. One can rewrite it 2-3 times while others need 10-15 rewritings for their text to look more or less ok.

5. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Armenia

PLZ correct mistakes, thanks very much ^_^

Some young adults want independence from their parents as soon as possible. Other young adults prefer to live with their families for a longer time. Which of these situations do you think is better?

I live in a big house with my parents and siblings. My family is nice, living with my family members is interesting and happy, and so I like my present status. Our parents need somebody to take care of them, and I think we are the people, who must do it. Besides, I have people to communicate with, to have a meal, to spend interesting holidays and so on. However, living alone is boring and uninteresting; also, there are some daily problems and inconveniences.

Many people think that living alone is more preferable than living with parents and it is joyful, you can do anything you want, and live independent from others. Maybe they are right, but in my opinion, it is not nice, because our parents need some help and care. I think we must support and take care of them. Some parents feel unhappiness when their children leave them, in order to live separate. They gave us nurture, took care of us, they learnt us to speak, walk and so on, I am actually sure, that itís right time to help them and return our thanks by deeds.

Living with parents and siblings is very interesting. In spite of some daily problems and conflicts with them, it is much happier and more pleasant living with them, then living alone. By living with them, I have people to deal with my day, to share my failures and successes, to have meal, to watch a football game and many other things like these. I think it is important for everyone in the world. In my opinion, the problems do not worth to avoid from family.
    I plan to live with my future family I mean my spouse and children, separated from my parents and siblings. Because I am sure, that living alone is very boring, uninteresting and full of problems. Sometimes we need somebody to help us in some questions, such us cooking cake, or repair some machines. Doing it alone is very hard. Therefore, I plan to live with my parents or with my spouse.

Many people wish to live alone, they think that it is nice, and there are no conflicts with family members nor noise and efforts, so they are independent from others. However, they cannot imagine how it is boring and uninteresting living alone, far from parents and siblings. They cannot imagine their need of family membersí help, and the family membersí need of their care and attention.

6. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria

I think experience makes you write in small time

7. Banned
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

I'm aware of my grammar not being perfect and having issue with phrasing but I never realize they were that bad until you pointed it out. My American co-worker once told us (non-native speakers) how bad grammars made him cringe whenever he saw them on presentation slides. He just tried his best to ignore it as he knew it was a lost cause. It's not easy as an adult learner because you need to unlearn what you are so accustom to by breaking the habit. I'm not using that as an excuse for not improving my English of course, otherwise, I wouldn't be here.

Last edited by bhaisahab; 14-Sep-2015 at 18:44.

8. Banned
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Ernest Hemingway rewrote the ending of A Farewell to Arms 38 times.

When someone asked him why, he said: "To get the words right."

Last edited by bhaisahab; 14-Sep-2015 at 18:44.

9. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria

I agree. After spending ten years writing almost nothing but French essays and articles, and one French book, I wrote a book in my own language, English. It was easier, in a sense, but I was surprised how many times I printed a hard copy, and re-read it, only to find there were lots of changes I needed to make.

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Same here. My first English-language book I think I reprinted and read through with a red pen, oh, some 45 or 50 times.

Page 4 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last