• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

a &pound =? (about the UK)

It's 4.30am. I'm usually awake this time of the morning to use the bathroom. And I'd read that you don't sleep much and have taken to ringing people at the crack of dawn, asking them where they think you're going wrong. So I thought to myself, seeing as I'm up, I'll give old Gordon a bell and have a quiet word in his shell-like.
    Look, I can't stand here talking to you. I'm getting on with the job, taking the right long-term decisions. . .
    Bear with me, Gord, you might learn something. For a start, do you have any idea how much people resent reading that Gorbals Mick is getting a £1.4 million pension and every MP can look forward to an index-linked, gold-plated, final salary pension - paid for, no doubt, out of the 100 million you've stolen out of our private pension funds?
    Hello! The quote above is the excerpt from an article by a columnist of Daily Mail (UK).

What does "a & pound" mean? Thank you!

PS. I knew Gorbals Mick refers to Micheal Martin, the Common speakers, who is going to have a golden pension pot.

Re: a &pound =? (about the UK)

It's an error in the typesetting. The phrase should be getting a 1.4 million pension - but somehow a vital code has got lost and the Mail's proofreading is not brilliant.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: a &pound =? (about the UK)

You have an eye for that. Thank you, Anglika. No wonder I got nothing from Google search.