Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Uzbek
      • Home Country:
      • Uzbekistan
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 156
    #1

    Non- finite forms

    Hi, please help me with these tests:
    1.We watched the coastline... slowly.
    a) recede b) to recede c) recedes d) receded

    2. I heard my name... during the conversation.
    a) mentioning b) being mentioned c) to be mentioned d) mentioned

    3. I take...in a river better than in the sea.
    a) bathing b) bathes c) bathe d) bathed

    4. Florida, ... the Sunshine State, attracts many tourists every year.
    a) known as b) is known c) is known as
    ( and what is the difference between known and is known?)

    5. We watched the... up until it became quite a small spot right up in the sky.
    a) plane went b) plane goes c) plane to go d) plane going


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 1,571
    #2

    Re: Non- finite forms

    The right options are in bold type.

    Quote Originally Posted by happys82 View Post
    Hi, please help me with these tests:
    1.We watched the coastline... slowly.
    a) recede b) to recede c) recedes d) receded

    2. I heard my name... during the conversation.
    a) mentioning b) being mentioned c) to be mentioned d) mentioned

    3. I take...in a river better than in the sea.
    a) bathing b) bathes c) bathe d) bathed

    4. Florida, ... the Sunshine State, attracts many tourists every year.
    a) known as b) is known c) is known as
    ( and what is the difference between known and is known?)

    5. We watched the... up until it became quite a small spot right up in the sky.
    a) plane went b) plane goes c) plane to go d) plane going

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Uzbek
      • Home Country:
      • Uzbekistan
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 156
    #3

    Re: Non- finite forms

    Thanks a lot. What about these tests?

    1. ... many books on history helps schoolchildren to get knowledge about the past of different countries.
    a) Read b) Reading

    2.... for better future many Negroes leave their native countries ... to Europe.
    a) Hoped/moving b) Hoping/moving

    3.James Watt decided ... an engine... on steam.
    a) to construct/to run b) to construct/ run c) to construct/running

  1. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #4

    Re: Non- finite forms

    1. Reading many books on history helps school children gain knowledge about the past of different countries.
    => awkward sentence.

    2. a) Hoped/moving b) Hoping/moving


    3. James Watt decided to construct an engine that runs on steam.

  2. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #5

    Re: Non- finite forms

    Which dialect of English is take bathing? Teach me, please.


    Phrase
    Florida, known as the Sunshine State, attracts many tourists every year.

    Clause
    Florida is known as the Sunshine State, and it attracts many tourists every year.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,630
    #6

    Re: Non- finite forms

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    1. Reading many books on history helps school children gain knowledge about the past of different countries.
    => awkward sentence.

    2. a) Hoped/moving b) Hoping/moving


    3. James Watt decided to construct an engine that runs on steam.
    Hi soup,
    I think that in 3. you could have, James Watt decided to constuct an engine (designed) to run on steam. It works ok with or without 'designed'.

  4. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #7

    Re: Non- finite forms

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Hi soup,
    I think that in 3. you could have, James Watt decided to constuct an engine (designed) to run on steam. It works ok with or without 'designed'.
    Doesn't work for me though. Could be our dialects.

    Ex: ... decided to construct an engine that would run on steam.

  5. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #8

    Re: Non- finite forms

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Which dialect of English is take bathing? Teach me, please.


    ...
    It's not just that one option but the whole sentence that seems to be in a non-standard dialect:

    3. I take...in a river better than in the sea.
    a) bathing b) bathes c) bathe d) bathed

    Even if the speaker was at a school where she gave a bathing lesson sometimes in a river and sometimes in the sea, the sentence would have to be something like "I prefer to take Bathing [deliver my swimming lessons] in the river rather than in the sea". But c and d are certainly wrong, and the noun 'a bathe' is so nearly obsolete as to be not worth using.

    Where does this test come from, I wonder

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Uzbek
      • Home Country:
      • Uzbekistan
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 156
    #9

    Re: Non- finite forms

    Thanks your replies, but you know I took these tests from our test books. I mean in our country we have such kind of books with which students can prepare for the entrance exams.

  6. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #10

    Re: Non- finite forms

    Poor students! (I mean "poor" in the sense of "to be pitied' rather than "not good".)

    Note: ignore this unless you're a fairly advanced student; it's a flight of fancy of mine, and could possibly be confusing if you take it seriously:

    I've thought of an even less likely interpretation of 'take bathing': the speaker is a nurse in a maternity ward, and is referring to lessons she gives in bathing a new-born baby. (Poor baby - sounds rather chilly! )

    b

Similar Threads

  1. Different forms of nouns?
    By srkfan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 21-May-2008, 12:16
  2. names of forms in functions of expectation and surprise
    By Cedric Picard in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-Jan-2007, 10:03
  3. main finite verbs
    By studygirl in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2006, 02:50

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •