• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

please, grade this composition.

"The alarm clock rang early morning today. I woke up dizzy, thinking it was Saturday and switched the alarm off. Around 9:20 a.m. I was awaken by a noise in the apartment. It was lady Adalgisa, the maid, who had already arrived and was sweeping the floor. Only then I realized that today was Friday, not Saturday, and I had to go to work. I wonder what kind of dream I had last night that caused such confusion in my mind.
    I hurriedly took a bath, shaved and rushed to work, arriving there almost at 10 a.m."

please, is this composition ok?
    thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: please, grade this composition.

"The alarm clock rang early morning today(this morning). I woke up (feeling) dizzy, thinking it was Saturday and switched the alarm off. Around 9:20 a.m. I was awaken by a noise in the apartment. It was lady Adalgisa, the maid, who had already arrived and was sweeping the floor. Only then I realized that today(it) was Friday, not Saturday, and I had to go to work. I wonder what kind of dream I had last night that caused such confusion in my mind.
    I hurriedly took a bath, shaved and rushed to work, arriving there almost at 10 a.m."

I would grade it 8/10 but I'm not a teacher.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

The alarm clock rang early morning today. I woke up dizzy, thinking it was Saturday and switched the alarm off. Around 9:20 a.m. I was awaken by a noise in the apartment. It was lady Adalgisa, the maid, who had already arrived and was sweeping the floor. Only then I realized that today was Friday, not Saturday, and I had to go to work. I wonder what kind of dream I had last night that caused such confusion in my mind.

7/10

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    The alarm clock rang early morning today. I woke up dizzy, thinking it was Saturday and switched the alarm off. Around 9:20 a.m. I was awaken by a noise in the apartment. It was lady Adalgisa, the maid, who had already arrived and was sweeping the floor. Only then I realized that today was Friday, not Saturday, and I had to go to work. I wonder what kind of dream I had last night that caused such confusion in my mind.

7/10
    hello Soup!
    do you mean that the text in red isn't good?
    thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

Quote Originally Posted by tedtmc View Post
    "The alarm clock rang early morning today(this morning). I woke up (feeling) dizzy, thinking it was Saturday and switched the alarm off. Around 9:20 a.m. I was awaken by a noise in the apartment. It was lady Adalgisa, the maid, who had already arrived and was sweeping the floor. Only then I realized that today(it) was Friday, not Saturday, and I had to go to work. I wonder what kind of dream I had last night that caused such confusion in my mind.

I would grade it 8/10 but I'm not a teacher.
    Thanks!
    do you suggest "The alarm clock rang early this morning"?
    Thanks again!

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by jctgf View Post
    hello Soup!
    do you mean that the text in red isn't good?
    thanks!
    Yes. It needs more work.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

Thanks.
    Could you please suggest something? How would you write that and keep it informal, please?
    Please note that my goal is just to speak a nice English. I am not willing to become a literate.
    Thanks again.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thanks.
    Could you please suggest something? How would you write that and keep it informal, please?
    Please note that my goal is just to speak a nice English. I am not willing to become a literate.
    Thanks again.
    The alarm clock went offearly this morning. I woke up dizzy, thinking it was Saturday and switched the alarm off. Around 9:20 a.m. a noise somewhere in the apartment woke me up. It was lady Adalgisa, the maid, who had already arrived and was sweeping the floor. Only then had I realized that today was Friday--not Saturday--and I had to go to work. I wondered what kind of dream I had last night that had me so dazed.

I quickly bathed, shaved, and then rushed to work, arriving at almost 10 a.m.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    The alarm clock went offearly this morning. I woke up dizzy, thinking it was Saturday and switched the alarm off. Around 9:20 a.m. a noise somewhere in the apartment woke me up. It was lady Adalgisa, the maid, who had already arrived and was sweeping the floor. Only then had I realized that today was Friday--not Saturday--and I had to go to work. I wondered what kind of dream I had last night that had me so dazed.

I quickly bathed, shaved, and then rushed to work, arriving at almost 10 a.m.
    Thanks a lot!
    I thought that "to bath" was a British thing.
    Thanks again.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thanks a lot!
    I thought that "to bath" was a British thing.
    Thanks again.
    Here's something interesting. It's from LISTSERV 14.4
    A 75-year-old Englishman in one of my classes corrected me vehemently when I pronounced the sentence "Mother bathed the baby" as if they verb were 'bathe' rather than 'bath'. He insisted that you 'bathe' in the sea, but you 'bath' in a tub, and he made out to be telling me (the American) how to pronounce the language 'correctly'. He turned to his 21-year-old classmates for support, and most looked at him like he was crazy--they say
    'bathe'.

A few months later, my 70-something aunt (originally from western NY, but a 50-year resident of Indiana) was over for a visit, and she told a story in which my grandmother 'bathed the baby'--pronounced like 'bath'.

So, this suggested to me that the difference might be not so much regional/dialectal as it generational.

However, dictionaries do treat this as a dialectal US/UK difference. AHD4 has no verb entry for 'bath'. MW9 treats it as "British". NODE (UK) gives have-a-bath senses (note: Brits have a bath/shower/walk, rather than _taking_ one) of both 'bath' and 'bathe', and treats the 'bathe
    in the sea' sense as 'chiefly British'.

Read responses here http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi