1. Unregistered

Prepositions 'to' and 'for'

When do you use the words 'to' and 'for'. For example: would I say, 'It is important to me.' or 'It is important for me.' My boyfriend's native language is Portuguese and he keeps asking me whether he should use 'to' or 'for' in a sentence and both sound right and I can't explain when you would use one over the other. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Re: Prepositions 'to' and 'for'

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: Prepositions 'to' and 'for'

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    When do you use the words 'to' and 'for'. For example: would I say, 'It is important to me.' or 'It is important for me.' My boyfriend's native language is Portuguese and he keeps asking me whether he should use 'to' or 'for' in a sentence and both sound right and I can't explain when you would use one over the other. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    For is often used to express a recipient; e.g., this gift is for you. To is often used to express direct towards; e.g., give the gift to me. Many words can take either to or for; e.g., necessary to [do something]; necessary for you [to do something]; confined to [a place]; confined for [doing something]. With important the structure is almost the same but the meaning differs; important to [someone]; important for [someone]:

Teacher: Marcus. Please stop talking and pay attention. It's important for you to listen as you will benefit from this.

Marcus: Actually, it's not really all that important to me, because I have no interest in the topic.