• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

gets into the most dreadful scrapes

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough explain to me the meaning of the expression in bold from the text below?
    Jack. My dear Algy, I don't know whether you will be able to understand my real motives. You are hardly serious enough. When one is placed in the position of guardian, one has to adopt a very high moral tone on all subjects. It's one's duty to do so. And as a high moral tone can hardly be said to conduce very much to either one's health or one's happiness,in order to get up to town I have always pretended to have a younger brother of the name of Ernest, who lives in the Albany, and gets into the most dreadful scrapes.That, my dear Algy, is the whole truth pure and simple. I suppouse that “get into a scrape” = “get into trouble” because “get into” = become involved in, as in “He got into trouble by stealing cars” and “scrape” (n) “difficult, often embarrassing situation or condition” = “soup” =
    “difficulty”. For example “Life is a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrap”.But on the other hand “scrape” = curtsy as in “drop a curtsy, make a curtsy”. "Scrape" = a deep bow with the foot drawn backwards (indicating excessive humility). I don’t follow that striking contradiction. Would you help me?

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards.

V.
    Last edited by vil; 07-Jun-2008 at 12:06.

Re: gets into the most dreadful scrapes

"To get into a scrape" = to get into minor trouble [ informal an embarrassing or difficult predicament]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: gets into the most dreadful scrapes

Hi Anglika,

Thank you for your popular persuation.

Regards.

V.