• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

"chisel-jawed" etc.

"Following the news that Marvel's latest superhero, Captain Britain, takes orders from our chisel-jawed Prime Minister - the defender of the free world - we look at how SuperGord and his X(tremely-useless)-Men might cope as the country comes under attack from the evil Tory Gang..."
    Hi!

Q1: What does "chisel-jawed" mean?

Q2: X= extremely-useless? If I use this word, in the context I create off the cuff, can Britons understand what I refer to?

e.g. His X-boss always kicks him around all day long.

Q3: I have been reading Daily Mail recently. I'd like to learn whether it is a pro-Tories newspaper or not. Because it seems to me some articles by its columnists keep satirizing Gordon Brown and the Labour. Or are people really not for the Labour any more? (Sorry for this question. If it is unsuitable, please ignore / remove it)

Re: "chisel-jawed" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hi!

Q1: What does "chisel-jawed" mean? A jaw with a strong angle and defined chin : http://tinyurl.com/ynryg6

Q2: X= extremely-useless? If I use this word, in the context I create off the cuff, can Britons understand what I refer to? Possibly, and possibly not - it will rather depend if they read comics or not :

X-Men - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

e.g. His X-boss always kicks him around all day long. Oh! No, you can't use "X-" in this way

Q3: I have been reading Daily Mail recently. I'd like to learn whether it is a pro-Tories newspaper or not. Because it seems to me some articles by its columnists keep satirizing Gordon Brown and the Labour. Or are people really not for the Labour any more? (Sorry for this question. If it is unsuitable, please ignore / remove it) I think it has become rather "middle of the road". It is certainly less rabidly left wing than it used to be. In any newspaper, it depends a great deal on the Editor at any given time as to what political stand is taken. There are two things: the Labour Party and the Government - there is plenty of support for the party and growing anger at the government.

As a matter of interest, do you also look at other newspaper sites? Or indeed the sites of opinion-forming journals such as "The Spectator"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: "chisel-jawed" etc.

Hi Anglika,

You are very nice. Thank you for your help! I never heard about The Spectator before but I’d like to read it. I have got its website.

I used to read CNN, The New York Times, Washington Post, and the Economist. These are most well-known English media outlets amongst Chinese English learners. And many Chinese enjoy witty pun words in The Economist especially. I was one of them. ( Now I don’t)

I run into Daily Mail several months ago and found it focuses on domestic affairs. I am also interested in learning ordinary Britons’ emotions, attitudes and opinions. It has changed my mind a bit.

Have a good day there!
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 07-Jun-2008 at 13:21. Reason: clerical error: minds->mind