Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Unregistered
    Guest
    #1

    Is this your teacher?

    If the question is

    Is this your teacher/ brother?

    Which one is correct?
    Yes, It 's
    Yes, he/ she is



    Should the answer be he/she and not it?

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #2

    Re: Is this your teacher?

    A: Is he your teacher?
    B: Yes, he is my teacher.

    A: Is she your teacher?
    B: yes, she is my teacher.







  3. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,696
    #3

    Re: Is this your teacher?

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    A: Is he your teacher?
    B: Yes, he is my teacher.

    A: Is she your teacher?
    B: yes, she is my teacher.

    Looking at a picture(or in front of my friend's brother), can I say " Is this your brother?" instead of "Is he your brother?" If possible, what would the answer be?

  4. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #4

    Re: Is this your teacher?

    Yes, it is.
    Yes, that's him.

    (Note: Yes, it's as shown in the orignial post is not at all idiomatic. We don't use "it's" as a complete sentence and would say "It is.")

  5. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #5

    Smile Re: Is this your teacher?

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    ... can I say " Is this your brother?" instead of "Is he your brother?" If possible, what would the answer be?
    Is this your teacher/brother?
    Yes, it is
    .


  6. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,696
    #6

    Re: Is this your teacher?

    Would you say "Yes, it is.(or Yes, that's him.) No, it isn't." in front of him(my friend's brother in this case)?


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 810
    #7

    Re: Is this your teacher?

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    Would you say "Yes, it is.(or Yes, that's him.) No, it isn't." in front of him(my friend's brother in this case)?
    Personally, I'd say either "yes it is" or "yes, that's him". In fact, I'd probably say "Yep, it certainly is".

    Open choice. But I'm not a teacher.

  7. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,696
    #8

    Re: Is this your teacher?

    Quote Originally Posted by colloquium View Post
    Personally, I'd say either "yes it is" or "yes, that's him". In fact, I'd pobably say "it certainly is".

    Open choice. But I'm not a teacher.
    Thank you ever so much, colloquium!

  8. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #9

    Re: Is this your teacher?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    If the question is "Is this your teacher/ brother?", which response is correct?

    Yes, It is.
    Yes, he/she is.

    Should the answer be he/she and not it?
    Both are possible, but it is more common--in fact, it's the more preferred.

    The reason being, gender-neutral it in Yes, it is doesn't refer back to the phrase your teacher, but rather refers to substantive this, short for this [person]. The demonstrative this replaces the noun person.

    Demonstratives lack gender:

    Q: Is this ... ?
    A: Yes, that is = Yes, it is.

Similar Threads

  1. English teacher or teacher of English
    By Veron1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-Sep-2007, 09:04

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •