Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

tenses with "since" and "always"

Hello,
    I know I must use the present perfect with "since", but is it the same rule in all the sentence? What's happen when I use the word "always"?
    My sentence is: " In Belgium, since the Constitution has been created in 1831, the king has always had the power to pardon." I thought I must use "ing" after "always". Is it correct if I say "... the king was always having ..."?
    Moreover, I precise the date when the Consitution was created. Should I use present perfect or the simple past?
    Thank you very much.
    Yellow Duck.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: tenses with "since" and "always"

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Duck View Post
    Hello,
    I know I must use the present perfect with "since", but is it the same rule in all the sentence? What's happen when I use the word "always"?
    My sentence is: " In Belgium, since the Constitution has been created in 1831, the king has always had the power to pardon." I thought I must use "ing" after "always". Is it correct if I say "... the king was always having ..."?
    Moreover, I precise the date when the Consitution was created. Should I use present perfect or the simple past?
    Thank you very much.
    Yellow Duck.
    Hi, Yellow Duck!
    Welcome to the forum!

I think "In Belgium, since the Constitution has been(was?) created in 1831, the king has always had the power to pardon." is OK.
    The king has the power now, yes?

Please wait for native speakers to respond.
    (I'm not a native speaker of English, so please forgive me if I'm wrong.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Hello,
    Thank you very much.
    Yellow Duck.
    Always,usually,generally,regularly...Simple present.
    He goes to church on all sundays.
    He goes to school regularly.
    Habitual actions: expressed in present tense.
    Regards,
    RJ1948.

Hello tzfujimino,
    Thanks to answer. For me, if I say " the Constitution has been created ...", it's the passive form. Of course, if I say "the Constitution was created in 1831", I'm sure it will be correct.
    For the King: yes, he has the power NOW, but he also had the power before today. That's why I think I must use the present perfect. But in another way, if I precise the date (1831), I think I must use the past simple. And what do you think about using "ing" after "always"?
    Yellow Duck.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Smile Re: tenses with "since" and "always"

Hello,
    My sentence is: "In Belgium, since the Constitution was created in 1831, the king has always had the power to pardon the convicted." I thought I must use "ing" after "always". Is it correct if I say "... the king was always having ..."?
    Thank you very much.
    Yellow Duck.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Hello,
    Thank you very much.
    Yellow Duck.
    The costitution came into effct in 1831.As per the costitution The King has power to pardon.You cann't use always here.If he pardons everybody, you can say that he exercises his power always But it is odd.
    Regards,
    rj1948..

Thank You. I think I'll use your sentence.
    Yellow Duck.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Hello tzfujimino,
    Thanks to answer. For me, if I say " the Constitution has been created ...", it's the passive form. Of course, if I say "the Constitution was created in 1831", I'm sure it will be correct.
    For the King: yes, he has the power NOW, but he also had the power before today. That's why I think I must use the present perfect. But in another way, if I precise the date (1831), I think I must use the past simple. And what do you think about using "ing" after "always"?
    Yellow Duck.
    Could you give me your suggested sentence?
    I'm not really sure about it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by rj1948 View Post
    The costitution came into effct in 1831.As per the costitution The King has power to pardon.You cann't use always here.If he pardons everybody, you can say that he exercises his power always But it is odd.
    Regards,
    rj1948..
    I see...
    However, I have often seen(heard) "....have(has) always + past participle..." pattern.

Eventually, I wrote: "In Belgium, the constitution came into effect in 1831. Since then, the king has had the power to pardon."
    I hope it's correct.
    Yellow Duck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast