incredulous vs sceptical

In the following multiple choice exercise:
    "A lot of people are ... about the benefits of nuclear power."
    A disbelieving B sceptical C incredulous D unconvincing
    The answer key gives "B sceptical" as the correct answer. However, I really can't see why "C incredulous" is incorrect here. Could somebody give me a hand with this one, please? Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: incredulous vs sceptical

Quote Originally Posted by micaelo View Post
    In the following multiple choice exercise:
    "A lot of people are ... about the benefits of nuclear power."
    A disbelieving B sceptical C incredulous D unconvincing
    The answer key gives "B sceptical" as the correct answer. However, I really can't see why "C incredulous" is incorrect here. Could somebody give me a hand with this one, please? Thanks
    Hi,
    Incredulous means disbelieving but is used when we want to to be really emphatic about our disbelief, sceptical is correct.

Re: incredulous vs sceptical

Hello mate.

I am not a teacher, but I will do my best.

It sounds quite like in Spanish. Escéptico is more like Incrédulo, but still there is a subtle difference.

Incredulous: Unwilling to admit or accept what is offered as true. Disbilief.
    Scepticism implies unwillingness to believe without conclusive evidence. Uncertainty.

synonyms: uncertainty, doubt, dubiety, skepticism, suspicion, mistrust mean lack of sureness about someone or something.
    Uncertainty may range from a falling short of certainty to an almost complete lack of conviction or knowledge especially about an outcome or result <assumed the role of manager without hesitation or uncertainty>.
    doubt
    suggests both uncertainty and inability to make a decision <plagued by doubts as to what to do>.
    dubiety stresses a wavering between conclusions <felt some dubiety about its practicality>.
    skepticism implies unwillingness to believe without conclusive evidence <an economic forecast greeted with skepticism>.
    suspicion stresses lack of faith in the truth, reality, fairness, or reliability of something or someone <regarded the stranger with suspicion>.
    mistrust implies a genuine doubt based upon suspicion <had a great mistrust of doctors>.
    From Merriam-Webster.

I hope it helps.

Salut