• Post Thanks / Like

Grammar(cloze test)

Choose the word from 1 to 10 which best completes each sentence:

Galton was an immensely ingenious man,of the empirical British tradition,and he invented 1.(a hundred; one hundred; hundred; hundreds)of things,such as the word association test,which he himself 2.(rejected; denied; declined; turned down)to play because he found that it exposed his 3.(inside; inmost; inbuilt; inherent) thoughts,and image processing-the superimposition of a number of photographs to give an average.He produced pictures of the 'average tubercular face' and tried to use the tehnique to 4.(retrace; revive; regain; restore)Alexander The Great from his coin portraits.5.( Like; Being; While; As) a young man ,Galton travelled in Southern Africa and,6.(in conclusion; therefore; as a result; hence),produced a book of travel hints.The book was later reprinted,(7.nevertheless; despite; whereas; although) it is of course concerned with technology of the 1840s.In 'The Art Of Travel' he explains how to make fire,how to build bridges and shelters ,how to see underwater ,how to get your horses to swim a river,and so on-an immerse number of 8.(devices; facilities; amenities; conveniences) and stratagems,many still good today and all interesting.The author points out that if a lion which can leap ten yards has once engaged on its spring at you,then it is 9.(subordinate; subject; object; subdued) to the laws of motion as a ball 10.(may; has; does; is) and there is thus ample time for you to avoid it.

My tgoughts on the exersice:1-hundreds
    2.declined
    3.inmost
    4.restore
    5.As
    6.as a result
    7.although
    8.devices
    9.subordinate
    10.is
    Howecer,I'm not sure for most of them.I find it really hard.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grammar(cloze test)

Quote Originally Posted by ocean_soul View Post

Galton was an immensely ingenious man,of the empirical British tradition,and he invented 1.(a hundred; one hundred; hundred; hundreds)of things,such as the word association test,which he himself 2.(rejected; denied; declined; turned down)to play because he found that it exposed his 3.(inside; inmost; inbuilt; inherent) thoughts,and image processing-the superimposition of a number of photographs to give an average.He produced pictures of the 'average tubercular face' and tried to use the tehnique to 4.(retrace; revive; regain; restore)Alexander The Great from his coin portraits.5.( Like; Being; While; As) a young man ,Galton travelled in Southern Africa and,6.(in conclusion; therefore; as a result; hence),produced a book of travel hints.The book was later reprinted,(7.nevertheless; despite; whereas; although) it is of course concerned with technology of the 1840s.In 'The Art Of Travel' he explains how to make fire,how to build bridges and shelters ,how to see underwater ,how to get your horses to swim a river,and so on-an immerse number of 8.(devices; facilities; amenities; conveniences) and stratagems,many still good today and all interesting.The author points out that if a lion which can leap ten yards has once engaged on its spring at you,then it is 9.(subordinate; subject; object; subdued) to the laws of motion as a ball 10.(may; has; does; is) and there is thus ample time for you to avoid it.

My tgoughts on the exercise:
    1-hundreds
    2.declined rejected/turned down
    3.inmost
    4.restore
    5.As
    6.as a result
    7.although
    8.devices
    9.subordinate subject
    10.is
    Two out of ten wrong - not at all bad going

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ocean_soul View Post

My tgoughts on the exersice:1-hundreds
    2.declined
    3.inmost
    4.restore
    5.As
    6.as a result
    7.although
    8.devices
    9.subordinate
    10.is
    I agree with you for the most part.
    But...for 3, I'd choose "inherent", and for 9 "subject."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    I agree with you for the most part.
    But...for 3, I'd choose "inherent", and for 9 "subject."
    What have I done!!!
    Anglika has already answered this one!
    And...I made some mistakes... How embarrassing!

• Post Thanks / Like

No problem,tzfujimino !No need to be embarrassed!We learn all our life after all!Thanks to both of you!

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    What have I done!!!
    Anglika has already answered this one!
    And...I made some mistakes... How embarrassing!
    It happens