• Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Cool Shield?

Hello amigos!

Susan has become a protective mother, She shields her daughter from everything.

Would it have the same meaning as "protect"?

Thanks,

Sam

Re: Shield?

Hi Sam,

You're right, it does mean to protect. I'm not sure, but I think it might have a little bit of a negative connotation as well... What does anyone else think?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

(Not a teacher)

Generally, to shield means to protect from something. Takezo makes a valid point: in this example, shielding a person from everything may be done with good intention but is likely to have a harmful effect on that individual in the long run. This negative connotation isn't a feature of the word "shield", but is context-specific to the idea of a mother who refuses to allow her daughter to experience things first hand, which is negative because it denies the child to develop coping stategies of her own, thereby making her dependent on her mother.

> Susan has become a protective mother, She shields her daughter from everything.
    The word "she" should have a lowercase s:
    Susan has become a protective mother, she shields her daughter from everything.
    Last edited by hotmetal; 10-Jun-2008 at 15:01.

Good response Hotmetal,

After thinking about it, I agree. The word "shield" doesn't have a negative meaning. It was the context. Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Yes, for a parent to protect his/her children from danger is natural and good; but shielding has more the sense of 'protect in an all-embracing way/in a way that repels trouble at the first sign of any possible danger'. That explains the the negative connotations you've noticed. (This is why, in the UK, the number of children involved in road accidents while walking to secondary school has increased. In the 1950s I rarely if ever walked to primary school with an adult. I was accompanied by an older brother or sister, and when I turned 9 I accompanied my younger sister.)

To recycle a line from the Yes, Minister series, it's one of those irregular verbs: I protect, you shield, he molly-coddles/babies.

b