Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 118

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 129
    #1

    "It's time we went home?" or "It's time we should go home?"

    see the title.
    There is a multiple choice as follow,
    After a whole day of hard work I'm very tired. It's time we _____ home.
    A) go B) shall C) went D) should go
    the answer is C.
    But I think C and D are both right.
    Is D correct here? If not, could you give me the reason? THANKS

  2. Senior Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 619
    #2

    Re: It's time we went home? or,It's time we should go home?

    Quote Originally Posted by registered View Post
    see the title.
    There is a multiple choice as follow,
    After a whole day of hard work I'm very tired. It's time we _____ home.
    A) go B) shall C) went D) should go
    the answer is C.
    But I think C and D are both right.
    Is D correct here? If not, could you give me the reason? THANKS
    It's time we went home.
    Reason:Its an idiom ,the reason not known.
    Source :Yahoo.com
    Regards,
    rj1948.

  3. Junior Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 62
    #3

    Re: It's time we went home? or,It's time we should go home?

    (not a teacher)
    As you say, the answer is C. That is a very well used phrase.

    I can't quite give a concrete rule why D is wrong, but it is. I have never heard it in 39 years.
    "It's time we should go home" just doesn't sound right. I think it's because by saying "It IS time…" that is a concrete statement which doesn't go with the "should". "Should" infers that there might be a "…but" coming.

    I'm tired. It IS time we went home. [OR]
    I'm tired. We should go home (we ought to, suggestion).

    Hope that helps even though I'm not 100% clear on the reasons or grammatical rules.


    Just seen rj1948's reason: It's an idiom, the reason is not known.
    That's what I was trying to say, thanks!!
    Last edited by hotmetal; 10-Jun-2008 at 17:04. Reason: update for new post

  4. tzfujimino's Avatar
    Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,899
    #4

    Re: It's time we went home? or,It's time we should go home?

    Quote Originally Posted by registered View Post
    see the title.
    There is a multiple choice as follow,
    After a whole day of hard work I'm very tired. It's time we _____ home.
    A) go B) shall C) went D) should go
    the answer is C.
    But I think C and D are both right.
    Is D correct here? If not, could you give me the reason? THANKS
    I agree with you.
    I feel....D could also work.

    Please forgive me if I'm wrong.
    I'm not a native speaker of English.

  5. tzfujimino's Avatar
    Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,899
    #5

    Re: It's time we went home? or,It's time we should go home?

    I was wrong...
    I'm really sorry. I take back what I've just said.

  6. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 129
    #6

    Re: It's time we went home? or,It's time we should go home?

    No body use "it is time ...should do" anywhere?
    PS. Can I change the sentence It's time we went home into It's time to go home?
    Are these two sentences the same?

  7. Junior Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 62
    #7

    Re: It's time we went home? or,It's time we should go home?

    WOULD no body use "it is time ...should do" anywhere? NO
    PS. Can I change the sentence It's time we went home into It's time to go home?
    Are these two sentences the same?

    "It's time we went home" and "It's time to go home" are very similar, but there is a subtle difference. "It's time we went home" is a standard phrase more likely to be used by someone who is irritated and wants to go. "It's time to go home" is more neutral, it is a statement of fact. "It's past five o'clock; it's time to go home."

  8. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 129
    #8

    Re: It's time we went home? or,It's time we should go home?

    Quote Originally Posted by hotmetal View Post
    WOULD no body use "it is time ...should do" anywhere? NO
    I have put this sentence into my mind. Thank u very much!


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #9

    Re: It's time we went home? or,It's time we should go home?

    Quote Originally Posted by registered View Post
    see the title.
    There is a multiple choice as follow,
    After a whole day of hard work I'm very tired. It's time we _____ home.
    A) go B) shall C) went D) should go
    the answer is C.
    But I think C and D are both right.
    Is D correct here? If not, could you give me the reason? THANKS
    By far the most likely choice is C) went. A) is a possibility, an somewhat uncommon one, but a possibility.

    What does 'went' mean and why is it most often chosen?

    Because, as a past tense FORM, it distances things which makes the speaker's suggestion seem not so demanding. Though it is a past tense, it is only a past tense in FORM. It doesn't make any reference to any finished/past actions.

    Past tense FORMS are used in English to be more deferential, more polite, more unassuming, less demanding.

    "I was wondering ..." is another past tense FORM that we use for this same purpose, to be more deferential, more polite, more unassuming, less demanding. <I'm wondering ...> is more 'in your face', more demanding, more accusative, more, well you see what I'm getting at.

    Since this is a collocation "dedicated" to politeness/deference, it's natural that it's the one most commonly heard.

    Even D), is used on occasion.

    Results 1 - 10 of about 604 English pages for "it's time we should".
    Last edited by riverkid; 13-Jun-2008 at 18:57.

  9. philadelphia's Avatar
    Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 831
    #10

    Re: It's time we went home? or,It's time we should go home?

    Quote Originally Posted by registered View Post
    see the title.
    There is a multiple choice as follow,
    After a whole day of hard work I'm very tired. It's time we _____ home.
    A) go B) shall C) went D) should go
    the answer is C.
    But I think C and D are both right.
    Is D correct here? If not, could you give me the reason? THANKS
    D) It's time we should go home is quite correct, formal way to say it's time we go home. Moreover, should may imply a bit more a necessity to go home. You will find it out within books - pretty old books especially. I am reading Sherlock Holmes and I can tell you that the more used is should, in that case.

    By the way, it's time we went home is used, too. Went emphasizes upon the fact that it's time to go home as though there was something in the past which could tell you it's time you go home.

    Not a teacher though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •