Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. enydia's Avatar

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 414
    #1

    about 'soon'

    Hi, Teachers.

    I saw this sentence from a book: it ... really should have happened or been done sooner.

    I wonder why the author use 'sooner' here. In my opinion, 'soon' is used to refer to sth happened in future. Can it also be used to talk about the past things?

    Thanks in advance.

    Enydia

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 619
    #2

    Re: about 'soon'

    Quote Originally Posted by enydia View Post
    Hi, Teachers.

    I saw this sentence from a book: it ... really should have happened or been done sooner.

    I wonder why the author use 'sooner' here. In my opinion, 'soon' is used to refer to sth happened in future. Can it also be used to talk about the past things?

    Thanks in advance.

    Enydia
    Sooner than is a comparative construction.
    Tdol,in one of his threads,used no sooner had...See the sentence below.
    No sooner HAD I said it than I realised how stupid it was.
    No sooner had he arrived than the telephone rang.:Free online dictionary.
    Regards,
    rj1948.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #3

    Re: about 'soon'

    Quote Originally Posted by enydia View Post
    Hi, Teachers.

    I saw this sentence from a book: it ... really should have happened or been done sooner.

    I wonder why the author use 'sooner' here. In my opinion, 'soon' is used to refer to sth happened in future. Can it also be used to talk about the past things?

    Thanks in advance.

    Enydia
    Both "soon" and "sooner" can be used for the past and the future. Of course "sooner" is comparative.

    I didn't think it would happen so soon. It happened sooner than I thought it would.

    I hope it happens soon. I hope it happens sooner than you think it will.

  2. enydia's Avatar

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 414
    #4

    Re: about 'soon'

    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    Both "soon" and "sooner" can be used for the past and the future. Of course "sooner" is comparative.

    I didn't think it would happen so soon. [Does 'soon' means 'not long after the time referred to'?] It happened sooner than I thought it would. [Does 'sooner' means 'earlier'?]

    I hope it happens soon. I hope it happens sooner than you think it will.
    Thank you, 2006

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #5

    Re: about 'soon'

    There isn't necessarily a time referred to. "soon" means within a short period of time, but depending on what you are talking about, "soon" can range from seconds to many years.
    Yes, "sooner" means earlier.

  3. enydia's Avatar

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 414
    #6

    Re: about 'soon'

    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    There isn't necessarily a time referred to. "soon" means within a short period of time, but depending on what you are talking about, "soon" can range from seconds to many years.
    Yes, "sooner" means earlier.
    Thank you, 2006.

    Can I say 'it really should have happened or been done 3 minutes ago'?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #7

    Re: about 'soon'

    Quote Originally Posted by enydia View Post
    Thank you, 2006.

    Can I say 'it really should have happened or been done 3 minutes ago'?
    yes

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •